Frost and Bamboo

Old 09-08-06, 06:52 PM
Frost and Bamboo

I have some bamboo about 10' high and we are expecting frost tonight.

Will it work to turn on the sprinkler about 3 AM when it gets coldest to prevent freezing? Only supposed to get down to 31 but bamboo won't tolerate frost to well.

Thanks,

Baldwin

Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-06, 09:46 AM
This is a late post...but...how's the bamboo going? I did a little reading/research and found this info as I thought it might help you out:

http://www.bamboogarden.com/care.htm

Being that your bamboo is 10 ft. tall, it's well established right? Consider putting plenty of mulch around it. Here's what the article states about winter protection:

"In colder climates where bamboos may be marginal, successful growers usually protect their bamboos through the winter with a heavy mulch. Even in very cold climates in an established bamboo grove with a heavy layer of bamboo leaves covering the ground, the soil will be soft and friable during periods when the surrounding soils are frozen hard and deep. "

Hope this helps some and isn't too late.

Old 09-13-06, 01:46 PM
Wow, I didn't know that. After looking at the web site you posted (mine doesn't look like that) it seems I don't even have bamboo. I have Japanese Knotweed and didn't even know it, an exotic pest!

http://www.mda.state.mn.us/invasives/knotweed/knotweed.pdf

Anyway, three nights of light frost and only a few dead leaves so far.

I'm still curious about the watering at night, if it works or just something I've seen in the movies.

Thanks,

Baldwin

Old 09-13-06, 03:08 PM
Oh! So I've read it's aka is False bamboo or Mexican bamboo? So...I guess you're not entirely incorrect. lol...are you sure that's what you have? Also, are you sure you want to keep it? How long have you had it? I'm curious to know what happened last year. I CAN however tell you how to kill it. Are you sure you want to keep it?

Maybe this will help you:

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/32028/index.html

The leaves are supposed to turn brown and the canes die and turn brown.

See here:

http://www.devon.gov.uk/index/environment/natural_environment/biodiversity/japanese_knotweed/countryside_and_access-newpage-4.htm

What movie did you watch? lol...I guess sometimes movies aren't real...but sometimes they are!

Old 09-13-06, 03:14 PM
Sounds like you don't have to worry about protecting your mexican bamboo from the frost since it thrives in MN. Save your water bill and leave it off at night. Besides, if it's 10' tall, it must have survived a few winters there.

Old 09-13-06, 05:09 PM
Oh yeah, I want to keep it, looks real nice till it freezes. I have a picture on one of my zip discs, I'll find it tomorrow.

I planted it maybe 15 years ago from a chunk I took from my mother's place. They had a small patch and it never seemed to get bigger all the years we lived there. However, planting it next to the house it did want to follow the foundation.

Nope, when it freezes I have to cut it down at ground level, it grows 10' or so every year. After a rain you can almost hear it growing.

Only reason I was wondering about the water is because I'm lazy and wanting to put off the cutting down and bringing to the dump.

I wish my money would grow that fast.

Baldwin

Old 09-13-06, 07:24 PM
It must look nice. But lol...the lazy part is what I understand. I don't think you can be lazy with this thing. At least you DO know it has to be cut. Can you imagine when you don't cut it? Hmmmm...guess you can't be lazy!...Or...just see what happens when you don't cut it and then have this on your face

Post a pic. I'd love to see it. Sorry I have no other suggestions. I think you have it under control the way you've been doing it. I wouldn't change a thing.

Old 09-14-06, 10:53 AM
I don't want to hijack this thread, but this was sort of related...
I live in Missouri - I asked my local plant guys if I could plant Bamboo in large containers to have around my pool (I didn't want it to spread and take over the yard). They told me that in my area, I could plant it in the ground and it would survive the winter, coming back in the spring, but not in a container. They said that we have too many freeze/thaw days, where the temperature swings above and below freezing within hours, and that was particularly bad for the Bamboo since the container would not moderate the temperature swings like being in the ground would.

They said I could bury the container, to contain it, and that would work, but I wanted to put them on a concrete patio.

Old 09-16-06, 11:30 AM
Here's a picture from 6 years ago, gets a little taller now.

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c98/Oriley/BambooSept2000.jpg

Looks a little droopy, must have had a little frost then, too.

Baldwin