Sprouting Cherry Pits

Reply

  #1  
Old 12-14-06, 05:00 AM
Group Moderator
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 17,586
Sprouting Cherry Pits

I saved cherry pits this summer, stored them in the fridge in moist vermiculite for 3 months and I took them out of the fridge on Monday to start warming them up. They sprouted faster than I thought they would and I need to hurry up and get them in some potting soil. Here is the question: The first "shoot" that comes out of the seed. Is that a stem or root? Should I pot them with the shoot heading out of the ground or heading down into the soil.

Thanks
 
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 12-14-06, 10:11 AM
Member
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Maryland zone 7
Posts: 1,716
Plant with the sprout down once it curves as that is the root. The tree will sprout from the same area. Take a look here to see what is going on.
http://www.michigan.gov/mda/0,1607,7-125-1566_1733_22582-65181--,00.html
http://hawaii.hawaii.edu/laurab/generalbotany/images/seed%20germination.jpg
http://www.uq.edu.au/_School_Science_Lessons/10.3abio.GIF
http://www.uq.edu.au/_School_Science_Lessons/6.3HypogB1.GIF

Newt
 
  #3  
Old 12-16-06, 04:31 PM
Group Moderator
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 17,586
I'm your "go to guy" for supplying unknown cherry trees. I have 72 sprouts growing in peat moss and I had to throw another 30-50 away because I ran out of room. I think everyone I know will be getting a tree sprout in their Christmas stocking this year.
 
  #4  
Old 12-16-06, 04:34 PM
Member
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Maryland zone 7
Posts: 1,716
That is wonderful!!

Have a very merry and happy new year!
Newt
 
  #5  
Old 01-01-07, 01:35 PM
Group Moderator
Thread Starter
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 17,586
It is starting to look like I have two varieties of cherry trees. About 90% have nice green leaves but 10% have silver/white leaves. I wish I did not wait 3-5 years to see what kind of cherries they produce (if any).
 
  #6  
Old 01-01-07, 04:17 PM
Member
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Maryland zone 7
Posts: 1,716
Wow, that was quick!

Newt
 
Reply

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Display Modes
'