Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

Should I/How to winterize these bushes (picture)

Old 12-17-06, 02:48 PM

I have these plants/trees in the front of my house...

Should I winterize them by putting burlap around them? I live in NJ.

Some plants I know, the tree/bushes I am not sure of.

See here: http://www.humanemontclair.org/extra/protect.htm

-rhodedendrum

-azalea

-rose bush (not shown)

-and two unidentified tree/bushes

Thanks !

Dave Varga

Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-06, 10:16 AM
You mention winterizing the plants. Are you planning to wrap them in burlap each night and unwrap them each morning? An interesting investment in time and energy. Was this done last winter?

I don't know what USDA hardiness zone is yours in NJ. I am in zone 7. I have the very plants you mention outdoors all year round. Most of mine are far from the house, and do not benefit from the heat of the building. They do fine, and flourish in the spring.

If these plants are established, I would not worry about them.

Old 12-18-06, 11:18 PM
I agree with Chfite. I don't think you need to do anything except a 2" to 3" layer of mulch, after a freeze, being careful not to pile the mulch against the base of the shrubs.

I think your unidentified shrub on the left in the picture is a dwarf alberta spruce. It may not be getting enough sun and might not thrive in it's location.
http://www.monrovia.com/PlantInf.nsf/3e858bc84af1756c88256f0a00787e69/82064685fef373828825684d007200b8!OpenDocument

The picture isn't clear enough for me to get a good look at the other shrub closest to the porch, but I suspect some type of cedar.

I suspect you are in hardiness zone 6. Here's a zip code zone finder.
http://www.gardenweb.com/zones/zip.cgi

Newt

Old 12-19-06, 05:00 PM
thx

Thanks Newt and Chris,

Yes, although the trees are facing south west, a big tree in front of them blocks much sunlight. Yes they are established. I will see about putting more mulch, just an inch or two under them.

Dave

Old 12-19-06, 05:09 PM
Deep water before the ground freezes and mulch. These shrubs have been planted without any consideration for size at maturity and are planted too close to the side of the home and the porch. The display looks like a dish garden from the florist. While 'cute' now, these plants will outgrow their current bounds.

As you develop your landscaping plan, you can transplant to locations where they have enough room to grow to their potential without interference. Take into consideration the light, soil, and moisture needs of the individual plants.