What grows in clay ?

Old 02-05-07, 09:51 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
What grows in clay ?

Or what could I plant without too much trouble ? Have bad arthritis, and it is hard to bend or do heavy digging .... Living in Zone 7 in Maryland and just purchased a new home, looking forward to do a bit of gardening even though the dirt seems like cement .....

Thank you,
Anna

Old 02-05-07, 02:22 PM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Upvotes on 201 Posts
You might consider raised beds or planters such as the old oak barrel halves. We lived in NC for quite a few years while I was on active duty and had the same concrete-like soil. Just about impossible to dig in.

Old 02-05-07, 04:16 PM
N
Hi Anna,

Congratulations on your new home! I too live in Maryland and we do have quite a bit of red clay here. The best way to improve clay soil is to add lots of organic matter. One of the best for that is compost. I added 4" of compost and mixed it into the beds before planting.

The Tow Guy had a great suggestion about raised beds. You could fill them with 40% compost and 60% screened top soil.

Another option would be to hire some teens to distrubute the compost and possibly rent a till for them or you to mix it into the soil.

Yet another option, especially for a veggie garden would be to do sheet (aka lasagna) composting. If you start in the fall you can plant your veggies in the spring. If you start now you should be able to plant in June or July for fall harvest.
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Organic_Gardening/1999_April_May/Lasagna_Gardening

Newt

Old 03-04-07, 05:52 AM
H
grown in clay

hello and congrats on your new place. i have a garden in w. michigan and its solid clay, for 5 yrs now we have grown lots of stuff in the clay, but as you mentioned it is a LOT of work to loosen the soil for planting. viny plants that exist largely outside of the root area might be an idea as you really only have to prep the planting sight (hill). raised beds as mentioned before probly gonna be easiest way, this way you just install what u want and avoid the clay all together.

Old 03-05-07, 08:54 AM
H
We live across the river in Virginia and there is a lot of red clay here (with complimentary stones!) so I know exactly what you're dealing with. The good thing about clay is that it's FULL of good nutrients for plants. The bad news it that it doesn't drain well and it's difficult for plant roots to penetrate to actually get to the good stuff. While digging in the soil is challenging, I've had success with shrubs and trees whose strong roots can penetrate the clay (rhodies, zinnias, etc.). My peonies have also thrived. I have treated the soil with lime and clay breaker supplemental bagged soil. When planting bulbs use a bit of bonemeal in the hole before placing the bulb. My tulips and daffodils have done well and when I lift them to divide the clumps, I replant them elsewhere and use the hole they came from with garden soil to plant annuals or other tender root plants.

Old 03-05-07, 10:42 AM
N
Do be careful with the addition of lime to the soil. Lime does not help with the texture or drainage of soil. It changes the pH of the soil to more alkaline and should only be used if a pH test indicates an acid soil. Most plants prefer a pH of neutral to slightly acid.

Newt

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: