Flower Suggestions for a Bright Balcony

Old 03-31-07, 08:30 PM
Question Flower Suggestions for a Bright Balcony

Hi all, I've done a bit of vegie gardening but I'm not very confident in my ability to nurture flowers nor to choose the right ones. I've been inspired to brighten up my apartment balcony. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for flowers that would stand up to long afternoon sun for what will be another hot summer soon. I've got my ideas for balcony flower container ideas sorted (from http://.aspx) but any suggestions or word on your favourite blossoms would be appreciated! Thanks!

dd

Last edited by twelvepole; 04-09-07 at 04:25 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-31-07, 09:45 PM
Cool Containers Rock!

I've had great results with Geranium, Portulaca, Verbena, Dahlberg Daisy, Annual Vinca, Blue Victoria Salvia, Sweet Potatoe vine, Lantana, Ornamental Peppers, Red or green fountain grass, miniture roses,wave petunias and the list goes on. There are many more new varieties each year. Visit a reputable garden center and they will walk you through what works in your area.

When planting containers, larger pots are easier to grow in than smaller pots due to soil mass. A good method is to have a tall spiky plant for height, a rounded plant for the filler, and a trailling or droopy plant growing over the edge. Another method is to put one variety of plant per pot, and have multiple pots of various sizes. Play with different plant textures. Big bold leaves next to fine fernlike leaves. Experiment and have fun.

One way to help ratain water is to put a layer of coarse mulch on top of your potting mix after planting. It also gives a great look until your plants fill in.

Old 04-06-07, 05:48 PM
Group Moderator
dour dog: You did not say where you were from, but here in NC Marigolds are almost fool proof. They bloom for a very long time. They withstand a lot of heat and still look good when you forget to water them.