Houseplant help

Old 04-30-07, 12:59 PM
Red face Houseplant help

Does anyone have any tips for helping my houseplants survive an almost 3 week vacation? I have various types/sizes. I know I can group them all together, but can I leave some of the smaller pots sitting in water or will this damage them?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-07, 01:42 PM
Not the pro here, but...

If you can't find a house-sitter(plant-sitter), definitely water them well the day before leaving, but don't let them sit in water.

Here are some good articles to follow:

http://www.bhg.com/bhg/story.jsp?storyid=/templatedata/bhg/story/data/vacations_hp_01302002.xml&catref=cat40049

http://www.bhg.com/bhg/story.jsp?storyid=/templatedata/bhg/story/data/14460.xml&catref=cat40049

Have a nice long vacation!

Old 05-01-07, 06:46 AM
Smile

Thanks DIY Addict - crazy to be so attached to the green things in my life, but I would hate to kill everything whilst we're away!

Old 05-24-07, 12:07 PM
Smile If anyone's interested!

So all my plants survived! A couple even flourished! I followed the advice in the article and created a mini hothouse in my bath tub, first a sheet of plastic (big trash bag) then newspapers which I soaked, then the plants which had been thoroughly watered, then I covered the whole thing with a clear plastic sheet which I taped to the edge of the tub (not touching the leaves) Easy and it worked. As for my huge plants which wouldn't fit I used plastic water bottles with a small hole pierced in the lids firmly shoved into the soil of each pot, gravity does the rest! (Advice from my Mum!)

Old 05-24-07, 12:21 PM
Welcome back!

Glad your plants survived! Thanks for sharing the outcome as I'm sure this is going to help others too.

Old 05-24-07, 03:06 PM
It is always good to hear back from a poster with a success story. You were given excellent advice. My only question is how sunny is your bathroom? Many bathrooms are interior rooms with no windows, thus the bathtub greenhouse would not be recommended under such conditions. I assume one could, however, create a mini-green house using tub(s) located in a sunny room.

If I ever have the opportunity to have houseplants again, I will keep this technique in mind. I have had plant sitters before. I have learned over the years that most house plant gardeners either over water or under water. If I had known such a technique decades ago, I could have saved some houseplants.