Cutting Back Impatients

Old 05-07-07, 09:45 PM
Cutting Back Impatients

I have a bunch of impatients that have become very leggy. They are around 1 ft. in height and due to the heat here in Southern California the flowers are falling off or look like they are wilting. I was told i could grow them as a perenial. What should i do?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-07, 10:12 PM
Newer varieties of impatiens tend not to be so leggy. Over fertilization can make for leggy plants. Depending on variety they can be 8-24" tall. If grown in the proper environment, they require no extra maintenance.

If the impatiens get leggy during the summer, give them a good haircut. Clip them back to with two or three inches of the pot or soil if in the ground. They will grow out with renewed vigor and look great in about two or three weeks.

Old 05-08-07, 12:37 AM
Thanks for the help. I will cut them back and watch them grow. Should I fertalize after I cut them back.

Old 05-08-07, 08:01 PM
Do not fertilize the impatiens. Too much fertilizer reduces flowering. Most do not fertilize impatiens, at most one light fertilizing.

Old 05-09-07, 02:01 PM
How far back should I pinch them back? THey still have some flowers left on them, should I wait until they completly die off, or do it not before it gets too hot.