Moving fruit trees...

Old 05-19-07, 08:47 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Moving fruit trees...

I just bought a house that has several fruit trees, apple, plum, pear ect...
Probleb is that they used no rhyme or reason when they planted them and are not where I would like them. They are about7-8 feet tall can they be moved? If so how do I do it without killing them?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-07, 03:28 PM
T
Transplanting of fruit trees is best done when dormant. Care must be taken to move as much of the root ball as possible. Look at the trees' canopies and determine where the widest part is. That is how much cirumference around the tree that must be dug and at least three feet down. Depending on size of tree, that can be much digging. A professional can dig and lift the trees.

If you decide to go ahead with transplanting, dig a trench around the drip line of the tree to halt additional root development this year. As soon as you can work the ground in the spring, you can transplant. Transplanting will stress trees and they may suffer from transplant shock.

Old 05-19-07, 06:53 PM
B
A better time to transplant is in the fall after they drop their leaves. The roots will grow over the winter until the ground freezes. This gives the roots a better chance to recover before the trees want to leaf and flower.

Remember - fruit trees like well drained soil and full, day-long sun.