Roses and Hydrangeas.....

Old 05-29-07, 04:21 PM
Roses and Hydrangeas.....

My first post in gardening! First, the easy one (for those in the know, I'd guess): the Endless Summer Hydrangea....should I/can I cut back the old wood? I know with "conventional" hydrangeas, they bloom on old wood, but I thought I heard that Endless Summer blooms on new AND old wood, so I've left it alone (though I'll pop off the the dehydrated flowers while mulching, leaving the big dead branch). A "greener" thumb suggested I remove the wood.
As for the roses, I haven't seen a flower in about three years, but the canes and thorns are doing very well! I really don't feed them anything (shame on me); what do I do?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-07, 05:07 PM
Endless Summer Hydrangea blooms on both old and new wood. This is not a fussy plant. They prefer partial shade and will grow to 3-5'. Alkaline soil provides pink blooms and acidic soil blue. Just remove spent blossoms to assure continuous bloom. This hydrangea does very well without pruning. Should you feel the need, do so in the spring. If you decide to leave on some spent blossoms for winter interest in the garden, do not remove those in the spring as this may result in new bud injury.

What kind of roses? Climbers can take 3-4 years before they bloom. Certain roses will not bloom if too young. Roses tend not to bloom in shade, as they prefer sun. Too much nitrogen in soil will grow canes at the expense of blossoms. Get a soil test done to determine what's going on with the soil. Your Cooperative Extension Service Agent can help you with soil test and make recommendations for growing roses in your soil conditions. A fertilizer high in phosphorus often gives roses a boost of encouragement to bloom. A weak grafting bud or improper grafting could result in no blossoms. After all attempts fail, simply replace the nonproductive plants.

Old 05-30-07, 02:28 PM
"Alkaline soil provides pink blooms and acidic soil blue."

I've heard that coffee grounds make soil more acidic; true?

Old 05-30-07, 03:04 PM
Coffee grounds make for good mulch. They have a pH of between 3.0 and 5.0 making them superb for mulching rhododendrons, azalea and other acid loving plants. As coffee grounds compost, the microbes that do the composting will neutralize the acidity.

For blue hydrangeas, soil must be very acidic at least a pH of 5.5. You will need to lower your pH to make soil more acidic. This is done by adding aluminum sulfate from garden center to soil around base of plant. Apply according to directions. Do not fertilize with a fertilizer that contains nitrogen or phosphorous, as these elements promote pink blossoms. Don't expect color to change overnight. Color will not be predictable. You might get a shade of purple. Manipulating hydrangea color makes for a fun gardening experiment.

Old 05-31-07, 05:33 AM
re: the hydrangeas, I bought them blue and blue they have stayed, but it's good to know. as far as the roses, I bought some rose food at Home Depot, and, low and behold, I go to sprinkle some on my plants, and there are dozens of little flowers all over the vines. They don't look at all like roses to me, at least not like any of the varieties I remember purchasing and planting, but I like 'em. here's a pic:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v115/eddieo45/05-31-07_0822.jpg

also, at the risk of hijacking my own thread, I have a shrub that I love and I don't know what it is. I transplanted it from a friend's yard when he needed to make room for a hot tub. we cut it back severely and worked our butts off to get it out, get it into his truck, and into my yard. For a long time it looked like we planted it upside down, but now, it's second spring in it's new home, it's thriving. we call it "sideshow Bob" after the Simpsons character with the wacky hair, but we'd love to know what it is. Here are a couple of pics, if you can hazard a guess:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v115/eddieo45/05-27-07_1926.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v115/eddieo45/05-27-07_1923.jpg

Old 05-31-07, 06:15 AM
If something killed the grafted portion of the plant, the growth is likely off the old root stock to which it was grafted.

Weigela? The most common, and most ornamental is Weigela florida, a rounded to arching shrub that typically grows to 6 to 8 feet tall. Hummingbirds love the funnel-shaped flowers that engulf the plant from May to June.

Old 06-11-07, 08:04 AM
twelvepole: "If something killed the grafted portion of the plant, the growth is likely off the old root stock to which it was grafted."

I think you're right, but I don't dislike the flowers. I see them all over my town (Milton, MA) and I wonder if you might be able to identify it. It's a little white flower with a yellow center, pictured here:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v115/eddieo45/05-31-07_0822.jpg

[I just realized I posted this photo link before, but maybe you didn't view it]

Old 06-26-07, 04:58 PM
Answer re: those little white flowers

Hi
I live in Braintree (right around the corner) and oddly enough I JUST asked a Nursery guy what those bushes are as they are so prevalent and rather pretty~ thought they'd be good in my garden to hide a chained link fence.
I took him a sprague and he told me (not with a lot of confidence) that they are "wild roses" and he doesn't sell them. Could be true as they do have thorns and are rather straggly...
however- I have some in the woods behind my house and it is almost all SHADE.
Not sure if it's a rose if roses like sun? But- that's what he said and that is definitely what is in your picture. If you find out anything differently- please let me know!
Deb.