Oleander or Weed?

Old 06-04-07, 09:37 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Oleander or Weed?

I have a couple of plants which have leaves and growth very similar to Oleander, however, over the past 2 years they have not bloomed. I continue to cut it back and it grows rapidly again. The plant has a much narrower, finer stem system than true Oleander but all else is similar except for the lack of blooms. Is this a weed that is a twin of Oleander? If it is Oleander, why hasn't it bloomed?
Thank You
Carole

Old 06-04-07, 11:04 AM
G
If you could share some pictures, that would be extremely helpful. But otherwise there are a lot of great picture resources online for identifying plants along with other gallery type tools that are great. My favorite source for info by far is here: http://www.bhg.com/bhg/gardening/ They have tons of images that are really helpful.

Old 06-08-07, 06:01 PM
C
Unhappy Oleander Weed? Pictures

Hi Greenythumb,
I just took a few pictures of the culprit but this website won't allow me to post any pictures. Any suggestions to allow me to put up a picture or two?
---I located The Posting Rules box, but I cannot adjust any settings for it which may be the problem. It reads as follows:

You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may edit your posts

vB code is Off
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Old 06-09-07, 03:02 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Wink

Post photos at www.photobucket.com or other and then post the link here for all to see.

Old 06-09-07, 12:13 PM
C
Wink Oleander or Weed Pictures Posted in Bucket

----Here are some pics of the Oleander Fraud I have growing quickly in one grouping in the back yard (Links below 1 and 2). (I live in Tucson, AZ), and we purchased this home 2years ago and this "thing" was cut back at the time. 1st summer I let it grow, then cut it back over the winter months, then did the same last year. I let it grow this spring thinking it must be some Oleander and I would see if it would bloom. It has nver bloomed but the leaves/stems are growing in a controlled clump and doesnot spread to other areas. The leaves are much finer than Oleander but are exact in shape and style, with no flowers of course:

1.) Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

2.) Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

----Below is a picture of some Oleander I wish to plant and just purchased it in pots. You can see my confusiion as the leaves are exact, except of course for the 'thin-ness' of the "fraud" shown in the 1st and 2nd pictures above. I was hoping to plant this Oleander shown below in with what I thought was Oleander shown above links 1/2, but I won't if it is a weed. So my next dilema-, I would like to have the Oleander growing in that same spot, but would have to use some pretty hearty weed killer to get rid of this plant since after many cuttings and lack of water, it flourished. Any help would be great. ---Great website, and I will come here often since I am originally from Boston, MA and my green thumb has since turned black moving to Tucson AZ where it is a challenge to say the least at gardening, and I have become a serial killer in the plant world out here in the desert...sigh.

3.) Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Old 06-10-07, 01:24 PM
C
Unhappy Oleander Weed? Pictures Posted in Photobucket

My previous picture links did not work.
Please try these 2 to view pictures of my "Oleander Fraud":

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x242/Carole2759/IMG_3357.jpg
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x242/Carole2759/IMG_3362.jpg

Thank you for being patient/helpful.
Carole

Old 06-13-07, 04:55 PM
T
Wondering if it's a petite nerium oleander? Suckers (shoots) at bottom can sap shrub and prevent bloom. When are you pruning? The best time to prune oleanders is September to early October. Pruning later will cut off the spring growth. Flowers grow on tips of new wood. Pruning at the wrong time can prevent bloom. For more info on oleanders, go to the International Oleander Society website at http://oleander.org/culture.html

Old 07-08-07, 01:53 AM
C
Wink Oleander Fraud

Hi Twelvepole,
I am now wondering if it is a tree in its early stages. I have definately ruled out Oleander since although it has the same leaf structure, on closer examination it is much "daintier" than real Oleander. I have planted some Oleander and yes, I do notice the flowers at the tips. This "fraud" doesn't even look like it's thinking about spawning flowers....so I think Oleander is a dead end for this one.
I have some trees that I have noticed in my work area (Tucson, AZ) which have the same leaf as this "fraud" in question. I have not pruned it this spring, but over the past two seasons I have cut it back each winter (to the ground) and it just grows to the stage it is now (about 3feet tall) within a couple of months in the spring, then it has slow continued growth right along (mostly bushing out). I may let it be for a full season, right through winter to see if it would develop a trunk. What makes it tough for me is that I am not familiar with the AZ plants since I have only lived in this area for 3 years (moved here from MA coast), so EVERYTHING is alien to me, heck I had never even seen Oleander back east! I am still stumped but have determined it's not what I had hoped as an Oleander.
Thanks a bunch for your input.
Carole

Old 07-12-07, 01:05 PM
T
Take a branch to your local Cooperative Extension Agent for identification.

Old 07-23-07, 09:13 PM
C
I have found out it is a type of desert/dry area Willow tree -Chilopsis- in it's early stages. I have seen that these desert willows flower, but mine has none. Perhaps I have the male. Good news because it's in the perfect spot for a tree and we can sure use any type of shadding here in the desert.
Thanks again for your help.
-Carole

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: