Sevin or Organic Insecticide?

Old 06-09-07, 05:47 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Sevin or Organic Insecticide?

Hi all,

I brought a sample apple into my local nursery asking for help on what to do about the infestation in perhaps 10% of the apples on my tree.
I was told, without hesitation, that the offending bugs were Codling Moth's and that I should use Sevin (ready to use) spray on the tree.

While they recommended it without hesitation, I'm a bit hesitant using it after doing some reading on the net.

If Sevin is used per it's labeled instructions, is it really considered safe? Or, is there something along the lines of an organic insecticide that I could use in place of Sevin for this particular application?

Thanks!

P.S. I live in California.

Old 06-13-07, 05:05 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Contact your local Cooperative Extension Agent for recommended controls in your area. I'm from the great Commonwealth of Kentucky and we approach codling moths with an integrated pest control management program that includes pheromone trapping to determine biofix and and timely spraying with insecticide, trunk banding, good sanitation practices, and mating disruption. There are newer insecticide products available for codling moth control. Not all products are available in all parts of the country. Thus, the need to contact your local Cooperative Extension Agent re: codling moth control in your orchard and your state's recommended controls. While Sevin spray is an effective insecticide, spraying is not an integrated pest control management program.

http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef203.asp

Old 07-10-07, 01:46 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Thank you for the reply and information. I appreciate it and will follow up with my local Cooperative Extension Agent.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: