The right time to plant...

Old 06-22-07, 09:00 PM
Arrow The right time to plant...

Hi,

My wife and I planted our first real flower/shrub garden a few weeks ago and had such good results that we want to do the whole property!

Among the many issues one of the most important that we don't really know about is when to plant shrubs and trees. We've heard a few different local opinions so I'm asking here for more thoughts.

We're in NJ and have to do a lot of prep and removal work before we can plant, but when is the best/safest time for shrubs and trees?

Thanks guys!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-07, 07:11 AM
Im very interested in this also !
My wife just planted sky pensil trees from the evergreen family after I begged her to wait till the end of summer like the how to section exsplains. Are these trees doomed or just have a kess of a chance at survival?
Are there trees that can be planted anytime of the year or is late summer ,early winter, late fall the only time?

zim

Old 06-23-07, 07:15 AM
Considering that the ground probably freezes up your way, enough time for the plants to become established should serve as a guideline for planting. You can plant most shrubs and trees now, if you keep them watered. We haven't had more than 1/2 inch of rain here in two months. If you are similarly suffering, these will need watering deeply daily. Such watering will allow the plants to develop a deep, widespread root system before cold weather comes.

I like to feed trees and shrubs in late December or early January when they are the least active, to avoid all the fertilizer going to the leaves. It strengthens the roots more.

Early spring is a better time, because the plants are starting the new growth and the weather is not so harsh.

Take care that you don't plant more now than you are willing to care for.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-23-07, 09:29 AM
Arrow

We have a lot of prep and planning so we won't be ready until at least late July. Should we wait for the peak heat season to pass or is that a non-factor? If so, the real freeze around here is usually about Thanksgiving time, so how late in the season can we go?

Thanks guys!

Old 06-23-07, 02:07 PM
When to plant trees or shrubs depends on the species. Here is a good read on transplanting: http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/plantsci/trees/f1147w.htm

Old 06-24-07, 12:34 PM
Thanks... I'll read that.

Another question slightly off topic: When we redo the gardens and plant the shrubs and trees we're going to take out the back lawn (80% weeds now) and reseed. Our soil is mostly clay so someone told me to rototill and add as much sand as possible, then the layer of top soil. What exactly does the sand do? Does it keep the soil (clay) from forming up so much or what?

Old 06-25-07, 05:00 AM
Get a soil test done. This is important for identifying soil type and what amendments are needed. You may or may not need to add to add organic material. Amending soil without knowing what it needs is like driving in the dark. You local County Cooperative Extension Service Agent can help you with soil test, recommended amendments, lawn renovation, care and maintenance schedule of lawn in your area. The Agent can also recommend the best seed for your area.

Then, kill off everything with nonselective herbicide. This may take more than one application. Once everything is dead, then you till. Let lawn rest a week to see what may sprout and hit with herbicide. Then, till gain, adding amendments and preparing the soil for seed. If you need to improve the slope of lawn to direct water away from the house or improve low spots, this is a good time to do it.

Old 06-25-07, 09:08 AM
Good advice, thanks. I still would like to know the logic behind adding sand, even if ultimately I don't need it...

Anyone?

Old 06-26-07, 05:03 PM
I would guess for drainage (many shrubs like a sandy soil) and as you said- to disperse the heavy clay.
deb

Old 06-28-07, 06:42 PM
Do not use sand as a soil amendment. One of my professors when I was in the Master Gardener Program in Tidewater, VA, where there was much marine clay, said sand added to clay causes soil compaction. He explained that if you look at sand and clay particles under the microscope that the structure of both is such that the particles will interlock.

http://hcs.osu.edu/hcs/webgarden/Land/LAND_Oct96.html