hydrangea bloom question

Old 06-24-07, 07:03 AM
hydrangea bloom question

I've got a hydrangea, not sure what variety, in a 10 gallon pot. It does really well each year. This year, it has exploded with about 25 blooms. The blooms are not full yet, they are trying, but some are making little progress. I"m thinking that there are too many, and the plant is using all it's energy and cannot bring them all, or any of them, to bloom.

Should I deadhead some of the blooms? Would this help? If so, how many should I remove?

Thanks all !

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-07, 09:56 PM
bump.

Anyone have an idea here? The outer ring of flowers on each bloom have set, but that's if for the past month. When the plant goes dormant I plan to transfer it from the pot to the ground, but I sure would like some blooms this year. Thanks !

Old 06-27-07, 06:46 PM
If you think you need to cut some, I think I've always heard the general rule of thumb is never trim anything over 30% of the plant/bush/tree etc...especially in the heat of summer.

I've got some endless summer hydrangeas that seem to have been stuck between a bloom and die kind of look and they finally popped open and filled overnight.

If I'm not mistaken, hydrangeas usually bloom in July so they should be starting to bloom/fill out now.

I don't think you need to cut any off...I mean, it caused 'em to bud but maybe they're just a little restricted in the pot and going in the ground will do 'em worlds of justice.

I put mine in pots on purpose so I could add some alum. sulfate to 'em to get them blue but I haven't had any luck...I didn't want to risk killing other plants in the area with the acidic soil but I now need to look at planting them in the ground to get my pH right (some hydrangeas, like mine, can change colours in the right soil pH).

Your other problem with cutting in the heat is that you could just end up stressing your plant and do more hard than good....the plant is gonna try to repair and regrow when it should be concentrating on getting nutrients through the roots in this little heat spell we're having.

Atleast that's what I've come to learn.

Old 06-27-07, 09:24 PM
Thanks viro. I'll just give them plenty of food and water and look towards July for the blooms.

Old 06-28-07, 06:51 PM
Too much shade can retard bloom development. The type of hydrangea you have determines when it blooms, when it should be pruned, and specific growing needs. Have there been any change in growing conditions from previous years?

Old 06-28-07, 07:19 PM
no, no changes in condition. Last year we had wet spring so the blooms didn't come until much later in the season, as I recall. This year we had a dry spring, so the plant took off earlier.

I honestly don't remember what the blooms and quantity was like last year.

Guess I'll just wait and see.