Hydrangea not blooming?

Old 06-28-07, 06:11 PM
Hydrangea not blooming?

Hi,
I transplanted a small/med sized hydrangea plant last Spring to it's current spot in the yard- gets morning sun and then shade. It bloomed alright last Summer-
I did not prune it at all~ I know the buds set up for the next season so I didn't cut any canes in the Fall...(may have cut one flower to bring inside).
Anyways, the plant is looking good- growing/green- no leaf discoloration or disease. However, I see no signs of any blossoms yet and I'm in Boston and I see many already coming into color in my area! What happened? What can I do?
Can the soil's acidity change in 1year?
Thanks,
deb

Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-07, 06:34 PM
The most common cause for no blooms on hydrangea is winter damage. A frost will kill the buds. You indicate that you live in New England which has a reputation for being very cold. Too much shade and poor soil conditions can also result in no blooms. Hydrangeas prefer full sun with dappled shade mid day. In hot climates, hydrangeas tend to fair better with a little more shade. Soil should be rich in organic material, well-drained, and slighty acidic. Over-fertilization can result in lush growth without bud production.

Prune late winter/early spring. Knowing variety of hydrangea is important for pruning.

http://www.uri.edu/ce/factsheets/sheets/hydrangea.html

http://www.twomblynursery.com/resource_hydrangea.htm

Old 06-30-07, 09:42 AM
Bummed in Boston

All 3 of them are Nikko Blues. The biggest one that bloomed last year gets sun until Noon then is in the shade (looks ready for shade as the leaves start to wilt a bit) The 2 in the front are smaller and they get sun most of the day but aren't wilting at all- then get a few hrs of shade in late afternoon.
I put pine needles up around their base to protect them in the winter but didn't wrap them or anything to protect the branches. Other people's seem to be blooming so that's what's concerning to me. I only put Miracle grow on once and it was very dilute. I don't overwater. We did have an odd Winter- but again- I see other blue hydrangeas around now...
Is it too late to do something to change its environment soil-wise? Should I wrap them this Winter? I thought these were fairly low maintenance/tough plants?

Old 06-30-07, 10:34 AM
Nikko Blue is essentially disease and pest resistant. It performs well in shade. Hydrangeas do best in moist, well drained, moderately fertile soil that is rich in humus. Protection from winter winds and extreme cold is best. Annual fertilizing in spring is helpful. A soil test will tell you if you need to amend the soil. If one or more nutrients is low, a specific instead of an all-purpose fertilizer may be required. Too much nitrogen can cause too much leafy growth at the expense of making flower buds.

Old 07-02-07, 08:53 PM
Sounds like I need a soil test from all your responses~ including those I've left in the Lawn section.
I'm just sad about the hydrangeas- at least there's hope for next year since the plant isn't dead.
I will see if changing to a nutrient specific fertilizer (if indicated) will help.
Thank you.
deb