Pumpkin Disease

Old 07-28-07, 07:06 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Pumpkin Disease

I live on Long Island and every time I try and grow pumpkins they do fine then the white spots start to appear on the leaves and the plant looks sickly. What can I use to treat this? Thanks

Old 08-08-07, 09:34 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Powdery mildew, downy mildew and the little-known Microdochium blight can take a toll on the pumpkin patch. Too much rain and overwater, especially from above which subjects plant leaves to water tend to promote disease. It is best to water deep once a week and to use soaker hoses to water beneath plants in order to keep leaves dry. Practicing crop rotation so that you avoid planting pumpkins in the same patch also helps keep plant disease at bay.

Summer/fall conditions with high humidity at night and low humidity during the day are favored by powdery mildew spores. Powdery mildew appears as masses of white, powdery spores. Leaves can turn yellow and die and stems turn brown.

Downy mildew presents itself as fuzzy, white to grayish patches underneath leaves and top side of leaves may have yellow or green spots. Leaves usually drop within a few days. Wet mornings and cool evenings are ideal for downy mildew.

Microdochium blight can present itself when weather is warm and wet. Tan to white lesions can be seen on stems and leaves. Plants experience leaf drop and dry, brittle stems. This fungus results in white, tan, or silver patches which disfigure pumpkins. Your local Cooperative Extension Service Agent can recommend fungicides available in your area for treating mildew and blight on pumpkins.

For chemical control program for pumpkin diseases, go to
http://www.ag.ohio-state.edu/~vegnet/reports/pdis1.html

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: