Removing mold/mildew from tree trunk

Old 07-29-07, 10:37 AM

Hello everyone,

I have a Big Oak tree next to my house which has problem with mold/mildew growth. Presumably the growth is from us watering the lawn and the tree at the same time. My question to everyone is, "are there a environmental friendly solution to removing these molds without using harmful chemical?". I heard of a straight vinegar solution, does this work or hurt the tree? any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-07, 01:30 PM
I would venture that the effects on the tree are minimal, and would just let it be.

Old 07-29-07, 05:20 PM

Hello Chris,

Thank you! You are correct. The damage seems to be minimal but could be effect eventually hurt the tree? It's a beautiful tree and I would hate to have mold/mildew destroying it. What about the Vinegar solution, is that a safe solution to use to destroy any mold (on trees and others)?

Thank you!

Old 08-08-07, 10:04 AM
I would be hesitant to spray trunk with vinegar, which is a known weed killer. If you have mold, adjust sprinkler to avoid tree, selectively remove tree branches to allow for sunshine and ventilation inside and around tree.

If what you have is lichen, which many mistake for mold, this can be controlled with liquid copper fungicide. Your local Cooperative Extension Service Agent can identify a sample and make recommendations.