Worsening situation w/Bleeding Heart

Old 07-08-07, 01:45 PM
S
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Worsening situation w/Bleeding Heart

I have read conflicting info online about whether Bleeding Heart plants prefer SUN or SHADE? Mine's in the sun most of the day(gets some AM shade) and failing fast... now it is almost all yellow and leaves are curling up and I did NOT overwater it. It 1st dropped it's flowers after just a wk of bloom and looked dormant- I removed the new mulch from around the base- I water from below, etc...
Now, I am wondering if I should transplant it to a shady area???
It is only its 1st Spring/Summer here in Boston (planted last Fall)
It's sad but I believe it's dying and I don't know how to save it?
I know you're gonna advise to check the soil- but I can't right now...
I just want to hear from folks who have them and their experience where they seem to thrive best. My memory of neighbors as a kid is they were all in the shade.
Any advice would be appreciated-thanks,
deb

Old 07-12-07, 01:03 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Bleeding hearts are considered to be a woodland plant that prefers light shade and well-drained soil. Some morning sun is fine, but afternoon soon is simply too much. They bloom in early spring. Mulch and keep plants watered throughout summer to continue to enjoy foliage.

Old 07-12-07, 03:55 PM
S
Thank you... I'm going to move her to a shadier area... can't help the drainage but hopefully she won't die at least. Thanks re: the blossoms too cuz I thought they bloomed all Summer.
deb

Old 08-25-07, 07:53 AM
E
I have 2 bleeding hearts that are both growing well. One gets some late morning sun, the other gets a little of that plus some late afternoon sun. It is my understanding that they are not full sun plants.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: