Pruning a plumeria

Old 09-03-07, 10:52 PM
Pruning a plumeria

I have a plumeria in my front yard and it is taking over the garden withits new growth. It seems to be growing out but not so much up. I need to cut some of its growth off because the other plants/flowers around it aren't getting enough sun. What is the best way to cut off and how much. Also, i would like to encourage it to grow upwards (have the new branched grow up), any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-07, 04:40 PM
Best to prune after flowering. You will get new branches at the leaf scars located closest to the leaf scars at the cut edges. Trim at a 45 degree angle, and position the cut so that the latex drips down so that rain water does not collect in the cut and cause rot later on. To maximize the most branches, cut where leaf scars are the closest together and facing the way you want the new branches to grow. If leaf scars are spread way apart, you may only get one or 2 new branches. Never cut through leaf scars, cut just above them.

Newt

Old 09-05-07, 09:39 PM
Is there a way to encourage upward growth.

Old 09-06-07, 12:42 AM
"...cut where leaf scars are the closest together and facing the way you want the new branches to grow." It's similar to the way you would prune a rose bush. There are different types of plumerias and some grow wider then others.

Newt