Need info on Mexican Palms please

Old 10-01-07, 01:11 PM
Need info on Mexican Palms please

I have planted a few mexican palms around my pool here in Chandler, Arizona. They are growing just fine. I was told that these trees are not good around pools because they shed a lot when they grow bigger. I planted them specifically because I always thought they do not shed and I want to keep my pool clean. Can any experts add any comments on this subject please ? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-07, 04:44 PM
Hi Moonlite,

Using a common name can be confusing. There is a Mexican blue palm - Brahea armata and Mexican fan palm - Washingtonia robusta. I'm thinking you are referring to the Washingtonia robusta. These palms need annual pruning and they drop black seeds everywhere resulting in many sprouted palms. They aren't good for planting around a swimming pool. They can also grow to 100'.

Newt

Old 10-01-07, 06:43 PM
oh wow ! Really ? These are probably Washingtonia you are right. I wish I could provide a photo for you guys to see but I am not sure if this is allowed here and I have no clue how to do it. They are still about 5 to 6 feet high. Can I take them out and plant them elsewhere around the house, or do you think their roots will get damaged ?

Old 10-01-07, 07:16 PM
You can see pictures if you search on google. Just put in the scientific name and click on 'Images'. You can also search by common name. I probably couldn't id it from your pics, but feel free to link to here with your pics. You can use a free site like photobucket.com

You can transplant your palms. I helped someone who shipped a hundred date palms that were over 20' tall across the desert in Qatar and transplanted them. Here's how.
http://www.palmgrower.com/planting_palms.htm
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/EP001

Newt