Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

proper rope size and strength for tree work

Old 10-24-07, 07:07 AM

Hi,

I have a relatively small tree (8"-10" diameter at base) that has recently gave up the ghost. It's right on my property line and grows out of the ground on an angle towards my neighbors land. The angle is severe enough that will cause it to fall away from my property.

I have a cousin that used to work for a tree service and he said that with my tractor and the proper size rope he could easily swing the tree back into my property on the fall.

Somrthing tells me that "any" kind of rope will not do. Can anyone advise on a proper rope for task such as this?

Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-07, 11:38 AM
Rope

A 1-inch polypropolene rope should be sufficient. Make sure the rope is long enough to get the tractor clear when the tree falls.

Be sure to tie the rope securely as high in the tree as possible(at least half the height of the tree) to get more leverage. Put tension on the rope with the tractor and stop. Notch the cut on the side toward the tractor. Cut the opposite side above the notch(to avoid splitting) leaving one inch of wood all the way across. Slowly pull. Pulling too fast will break the rope.

Good luck and be careful.

Old 10-24-07, 01:00 PM
Thanks for that reply! I'll research that rope now.