Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

how/when should I pot this hydroponic prop'd plant? <pics>

Old 12-16-07, 02:43 PM

Well I'm very, very new to plants and had not found a site like this!! I have more or less been approaching landscaping/gardens with a trial/error approach since I got my first house this year.

This is a palm of sorts (sorry I'm clueless on species!), that I figured I'd just take a large section out of - thought it was fine to just cut it and spread it like that, was later told it's a no-no!

Anyways, I had already cut it and set it up to root, basically just:
- cut the bottom ~6" to a spike, like with flowers from the grocer
- tore off the bottom 2/3 of leaves/foliage
- secured it to a chainlink fence with rope
- kept its bottom in a little bottle of water with fertilizer (maybe a 2-5-2? A 'root stimulating' fertilizer)

So over time it looked worse and worse, losing more leaves, I just figured it was dead. I completely stopped misting its leaves (did that until it looked like it was a lost cause, then stopped), just ignored the thing. I went to take it away from the fence to chop up for the trash, took its base out of that slimy green bottle, and bam - all these thick roots coming out from the bark!

I've gotta say I'm surprised it's alive, but now that it is I realized I have zero clue what to do next!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-07, 02:46 PM
hmmm I don't see how I can attach jpeg pics here

Until I figure that out, here's a link to somewhere I had them posted, you can see the specimen itself and a pic of the original parent plant, with an arrow showing the cut spot
http://www.badlink

Moderator note:
To have an image of your own appear here you need to have it hosted on a site like Photo Bucket and link to it.
You can use the controls at the top to code it to appear in your post.

Last edited by GregH; 12-20-07 at 03:13 PM.
Old 12-17-07, 02:00 PM
Palms are a whole different sort of growing system. It is not possible to root them from cuttings. Period.

You have two choices with palms, one is growing them from seed, and the other one is splitting a clump of palms, and hoping you have enough root intact that the plant will survive.

Likewise, if you cut the top off of a palm tree, deep enough to remove its heart, you will NOT get regrowth at the cut end. Once you sever the heart/root connection, both ends are effectively dead.

Old 12-20-07, 08:12 AM
I'm confused - you're basically saying that, despite it trying to root itself and still having green leaves, it is NOT going to make it?

Old 12-20-07, 10:42 AM
Originally Posted by FLlawn View Post
I'm confused - you're basically saying that, despite it trying to root itself and still having green leaves, it is NOT going to make it?
If it is a palm species, that is correct. I could not access the picture you linked, so it is possible your plant is not actually a palm. Without seeing it, i can't be sure.

If it is a palm, did you have any roots on it when you started? even if you trimmed them back? If so, then you may well have a viable plant. Most palms don't like wet feet; sandy soil is best.

Regardless of species, if it has roots, i suggest you put it in soil just high enough for the plant to stay upright.

general rule of thumb for containter plants: make sure you have drainage. nothing kills a good plant faster than drowning or root rot.

Old 12-20-07, 03:37 PM
hmm it must not be a palm species then! I presumed it was, looked to my amateur eyes to be one !!

The parent plant basically splits to maybe 5 major 'trunks' at ~5" above the ground, I cut right at that intersection, so zero roots to begin with. It grew roots though, there's a bunch coming out from behind the bark.

I'll get that bad boy in the ground then!! Do you think a generic garden soil would be fine or should I beef up perlite content to be safe?

Old 12-20-07, 06:06 PM
Im going to assume by your name you are in Florida, either zone 9 or 10, so planting outdoors now is not insane

Florida soils are notoriously sandy and alkaline. If the parent plant is in regular ground soil, you may not need to amend the soil. But if you want to be sure, blend in some packaged garden soil--up to 1/3 of the planting hole backfill

The best soil blend will clump when you squeeze it, and crumble easily.