Corn plant problems

Old 12-17-07, 02:13 PM
Corn plant problems

I have a corn plant that I received from my grandfather's funeral and my brown thumb is working against me I see everywhere that these "require no care" yet leave it to me to have problems. I repotted the plant into a larger pot, as the one it came in was pretty darn small for two decent size plants. I used some kind of Miracle Grow potting soil that the local Walmart carried. The issue I'm having is parts of the green leaves/foliage is dying and turning brown. Not the entire leaf and not necessarily starting at the stalk or at the tip. Mostly occurring at the middle of the leaf. It also isn't the entire width of the leaf. I'll try to get some pics later hopefully. Haven't really got a "schedule" down for watering, just whenever the soil feels dry at fingertip deep. Do these plants prefer dry conditions or fairly frequent watering? Thanks for the help and great forum!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-07, 02:37 PM
Sounds like sunburn to me. Cornplants dont like direct sun.

The rest of what you're doing sounds just right.

Old 01-05-08, 04:19 PM
Failure to keep soil evenly moist (not soggy) can result in browning of leaves. Don't over water. Stick finger one inch into soil to test for dryness. If dry, then water. Water until water starts coming out of bottom of pot. Do not allow plant to stand in water after it finishes draining. Depending on dryness of the home, weekly watering is usually needed. Corn plant can tolerate lower light conditions, but does best in bright light. Fertilize twice a year, once in spring and once in summer. Corn plant likes to be slightly root bound. If repotting, it's best done in spring and not in a pot that is not too much larger. Brown edges can be due to too much fluoride in water. Switch to distilled water. If in bright light or direct sun, leaf scorch can occur. Water from below to avoid water spots cooking leaves in sun. Brown areas on leaves can be due to a fungal problem. Let soil get a little drier before watering and reduce humidity and improve air circulation to allow soil to dry out.

Old 01-08-08, 05:55 AM
Thanks for the responses! I'm still trying to get pics. I wonder if the pot is too big. It also doesn't have a drain, but I don't give it enough water for water to stand on the bottom and it isn't planted that deep in the pot. I'll snap some pics as soon as I get ahold of a camera to show you. It is not in direct sunlight and I water it every week to two weeks.

Old 01-08-08, 07:09 AM
Originally Posted by jbuening View Post
Thanks for the responses! I'm still trying to get pics. I wonder if the pot is too big. It also doesn't have a drain, but I don't give it enough water for water to stand on the bottom and it isn't planted that deep in the pot. I'll snap some pics as soon as I get ahold of a camera to show you. It is not in direct sunlight and I water it every week to two weeks.
I strongly urge you to make a drainage hole in the pot, or repot it into one that has a drainage hole. Put a tray under it to catch excess water. This will allow you to soak the soil more evenly without the danger of drowning the plant.

Depending on the type of soil you've used, the water you are giving it may be settling down to the bottom more than you realize. Any roots that 'drown' will make some of the plant turn brown, and may even cause some fungus problems.

Drainage really is critical for most potted plants. If you have a drainage hole, you dont have to worry about overwatering and you can be more liberal with the water to make sure you aren't underwatering either.