Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

Can Dig Out Tulip and Daffodil Bulbs for Making space to Summer-Flowers' Bulbs?

Old 05-03-08, 10:42 AM

Hi:
Many of tulip and daffodil flowers finished to bloom with few exception.

Now, I want to plan Summer Flower Bulbs purchased through one of reputable Garden web-sites. Because of limited garden space although quite a large-large, I want to dig-out most of Spring Flower Bulbs, tulips and daffodils' in order to plant Summer Flower Bulbs.

Before doing so, I want to ask few, but important questions as to the above:

(1) Wondering whether I should dig them out now, or wait until all of their leaves are withered?

(2) If I can, how to store them properly? I'm thinking of putting all of those Bulbs in the shallow-containers with ample peat-moss over the top. Because, I plan to plant all of those Spring Bulbs in late October. The place where I live now is heading for Summer-weather to get quite warmer.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-08, 09:54 AM
Hi Azalea,

More information would be helpful in order to help you. For instance, you don't say where you live. If you are in a colder hardiness zone such as zone 8 or colder, you wouldn't need to dig up the spring flowering bulbs. Do you know your hardiness zone? If not you can use this zip code zone finder.
http://www.gardenweb.com/zones/zip.cgi

Some tulips are planted as annuals and you can surely dig those out. But if you've planted tulips that will come back year after year, or even perennialize (reproduce and spread), then it's best to leave them in the ground. Most tulip bulbs are planted 10" deep in the soil. You don't say which summer blooming bulbs you will be planting, but if you don't have to plant them 10" deep then you can plant them on top of the tulips and daffodils. Many summer blooming bulbs are tender and won't survive winters in zones 7 or 8 and colder. Which summer bulbs are you planting?

Let me know your hardiness zone, which tulips you planted (if you know) and which summer bulbs you want to plant and I'll try and help you.

Btw, if you do dig out your daffodils and tulips, wait until the leaves turn yellow before you dig. The green leaves will be feeding the bulb for the next years flowers.

Newt