new garden

Old 05-05-08, 10:00 AM
new garden

I've just cut sod up and tilled a 10x20 foot section out of my back yard... just wondering if I should do anything to the soil before I plant anything, like fertilize it or maybe some bone meal to help the roots develop. Kinda new at this and would appreciate any advise anyone can give. Just gonna plant your normal garden veggies like green beans, squash, tomatoes, etc... Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-08, 05:53 PM
Get yourself a good book on planting veggies, etc.
Don't fertlize the whole ground. Follow instructions on what to do at each plant.
Have fun....................

Old 05-05-08, 06:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
And after your crops come in, dump all your yard leaves, and those from your neighbors on the site. This is the best source of natural fertilizer/nutrients you can put on it, year after year.....and it's free.

Old 05-06-08, 12:37 AM
Hi Mike,

Add lots of organic matter. Compost would be great for this. It will add good microbes to the soil, improve the texture, improve drainage and the soils ability to retain moisture. You can read the 'Soil Preparation' here.
http://www.urbanext.uiuc.edu/veggies/basics.html

Newt

Old 05-06-08, 01:56 PM
Your local Cooperative Extension Agent can help you with a soil test and tell you what the recommended soil amendments are based on the test. Pick up a basic veggie gardening book like Ortho's.

Photo Credit: amazon.com

You can purchase new or used, starting at $6.06 at http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Guide.../dp/089721501X