Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

Transplanting small hertiage birch w/issues

Old 05-17-08, 05:35 PM

I have a small heritage birch tree that has sprouted from seed from a larger birch in my yard.

The tree is approx. 15" tall, 1/4" in diameter and has good branch/leaf structure. It looks very healthy.

Unfortunately, it has sprouted within 4" of the trunk of a much larger (and older) dog wood tree. The birch has got to go but I'd love to save it. Any suggestions?? The dog wood is approx. 18 years old.

My thought is that I'll dig down a bit at least until I hit the root bulb of the larger dogwood. I'm guessing I won't be able to get very deep and will basically need to simply pull the birch out. I'm hoping that I get enough of the roots and that the tree isn't stunted enough that it will survive.

Any suggestions of how best to proceed and what I can do to nurse the birch back to health after it's removal??

Thanks...
Scott

Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-08, 06:02 PM
The birch seedling will not have much of a root system. Water good the day before so the soil will be moist. Gently lift seeding out with garden trowel. Transplant. Take care to plant at same height as the seedling was. Water. Not to much and not to little. Monitor soil to make sure it is moist. Mulch. Do not fertilize.

Transplanting info: http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/pubs/plantsci/trees/f1147w.htm

Site selection should be where tree can mature. At maturity the Heritage Birch can reach 40-70 feet and as wide.

Heritage Birch
Photo Credit: Sooner Plant Farm