Pears didn't set fruit

Old 05-31-08, 02:37 PM
Pears didn't set fruit

I have two 20 year old pear trees that have always been loaded with fruit. This year they were covered with blossoms as usual, but no fruit. None.

The leaves are fine, the trees look very healthy. Two years ago the trees started to show signs of blight. Some of the leaves were spotted and a few of the fruit were deformed. In the two years since I have sprayed with captan according to instructions.

Any ideas why the trees didn't set fruit. I thought lack of polinators but my other fruit trees (apples and peaches) are bearing fruit as usual.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-08, 04:08 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Did you remove another pear tree last year? It could have been your magic pollinator for that tree. Another thing we have to worry about is late freezes for the apples and pears. Is it an early bloomer or late? Could have been hit with frost.

Old 06-01-08, 08:21 AM
Chandler - I have the same two pear trees, but you may have hit on something re frost although they are pretty hardy. We left on vacation just before full bloom. I suppose bad weather might have trashed the blossoms. I guess I'll have to wait til next year.

Incidentally, we drove to Charleston, SC to visit friends. We went through the Shenandoh Valley so I could visit a CW site. We got caught in a freaky mid April blizzard on the Skyline Drive.

Old 06-01-08, 11:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
We were lucky this year, but last year we got zapped. And with 52 blueberry bushes, about that many apple, pear, peach trees, 4 grape arbors and 3 kiwi arbors, that hurt. Now, if we can keep the bear out of them, we'll do alright.