Wilted Tomato Plants

Old 06-03-08, 08:30 AM
Wilted Tomato Plants

I am a backyard city farmer who has about 10 veg plants including about six tomato plants. My soil is pretty poor. Sunday afternoon, I took a small handfull of 10-10-10 and lime and spinkled in a circle around my plants. I then watered as we are very dry in my SE location. Yesterday, I noticed on several tomato plants that the top stem/branches had wilted. Any connection to my fertilizer efforts? And any corrective action you can suggest?

Thanks for reading and any reply.

TD

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-08, 09:34 AM
Super Moderator
Not a farmer, but I do plant tomatoes every year. First i would suggest before planting next time, to turn your soil well and add some fertilizer or fertilized soil which will do a lot to help.
For this batch, try adding some Miracle-Gro. This does wonders. Also, wilting usually means lack of water. Afternoon is a bad time to water since the sun and heat will dry it up too fast and not allow the plant to drink enough. You should be watering early in the morning if possible.

Old 06-03-08, 10:01 AM
shadeladie

because of limited available space as well as sunlight(yard and beds are very shady), I have to plant in same area each year. I know you are not supposed to do this. When preparing to plant, I did use a mixture of Miracle Grow Soil, bagged top soil, and a little cow manure/compost mixed up real well with some lime and 10-10-10. I normally put some Miracle Grow water soluble fertilizer on the plants about every 10 days. I still have a suspicion that my Sunday fertilizing is the culprit. One tomato plant that wilted has bounced back so I will watch the other two closely.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Old 06-03-08, 10:09 AM
Super Moderator
Hmm, I wonder if they're not getting enough sun. Whenever we have those wet, cool summers, they never do that well. Maybe too much fertilizer? If they're perking up, that's a good sign. Hopefully someone that knows more, will chime in.