Had to dig up bulbs- now what???!!!

Old 06-24-08, 04:04 AM
Had to dig up bulbs- now what???!!!

I'm tackling an old flower bed that has gotten waaaaay out of control. It's so bad that I am digging the entire thing up by hand and manually taking out the super-invasive weeds and their roots. The problem- it's also full of perennials. In order to get the weeds out I have to dig up all the bulbs and now have a pile of them. Any ideas of how I can save them?? (I live in the norther part of the upper peninsula of Michigan) Thanks,

-dj

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-08, 09:21 AM
Hi DJ,

There are a couple of different ways that come to mind. If you have any pots, put some soil in the bottom, put the bulbs in the pot and cover with soil. You can either sink the pot(s) into the soil in an area you've already worked, or in another area or place the pots on top of the ground in a shady area. Water when they get dry as bulbs are dormant at this time of year. They will do best in the ground even if they are in pots.

Another way, if you don't have any pots, would be to use plastic grocery bags. You can put soil in the bottom of the bag(s), put the bulbs in and cover with soil. You can gently tie the top of the bag, allowing some air to circulate. Place the bags in the shade while you work the beds. When you are finished with weeding, replant the bulbs. You can do the same with any perennials you dig up.

Newt

Old 06-25-08, 01:06 PM
Thanks Newt, bulbs are going back into the ground this evening!

-dj

Old 06-25-08, 10:51 PM
DJ, you are very welcome!

Newt