Heeeelp. Vines are killing everything.

Old 06-25-08, 01:46 PM
Heeeelp. Vines are killing everything.

Anywhere we have Cedar trees on our property there are vines that grow up and around them. The trees in the woods are especially unlucky because the vines start taking over the ground as well. I use to cut the vines but I really need to kill them. I'm in N NJ. on a farm. Anyone know what these vines are and how to get rid of them? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-08, 04:53 PM
If you could post a link to a photograph of these vines, someone may be able to identify them for you.

Old 06-26-08, 03:13 PM
Pics of the vines.

Originally Posted by chfite View Post
If you could post a link to a photograph of these vines, someone may be able to identify them for you.
Thank you for your help. The links below show the vines.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...t/vines002.jpg

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n...t/vines001.jpg

Old 06-29-08, 09:23 AM
Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. I'm wondering if I see any spines or thorns on the stem of the vines. If so, I'm thinking it's one of the greenbriar vines. They are quite variable in leaf shape.
http://www.noble.org/webapps/plantim...&PlantTypeID=3

It really doesn't matter what the vine is at this point, especially if it's not something like poison ivy. Here's how to get rid of vines like this.

I used this method to get rid of trumpet vine - campsis radicans that has a similar root invasion habit to other vines like wisteria and ivy.

When I moved into this house 20 years ago as a renter, I inherited a trumpet vine - campsis radicans. Here's my horror story and what I've learned about this vine. Over time the vine began to bloom and pop up everywhere in the yard. I would pull the sprouts only to find more year after year. When it pops up in the lawn it can just be mowed. After 13 years we purchased the house and had to cut down 5 trees and regrade the land due to overplanting and flooding. When we dug up the stumps from the trees and regraded we discovered roots of the vine 3' to 4' deep in the soil, up to 30' from the parent plant and as large around as my wrist! We dug and dug and, well you get the point. A year later we still had sprouts coming up from bits of roots that we'd missed.

Here is how I've learned you can get rid of it. Now, up until this point I had NEVER used herbicides or pesticides in the garden. Here's what I did and you can do to get rid of it. Put about an inch of Round Up Weed and Grass Killer Super Concentrate (you could also use Brush B Gone) in a clear plastic container with a tight fitting lid like you might get at the deli with potato salad. Cut a slit in the lid and insert the tips of the vine in the solution when in active growth (has leaves on it and the leaves need to be in the solution). Leave the vines in the solution for 48 hours and then cut the vines near the lid. To remove the vine from the lid, be sure and take the container to a safe place so that no solution splashes on anything precious. You can reuse the solution until it is all absorbed. Everytime I find a new sprout I do this same procedure. So far there have been no sprouts from areas that were treated this way.

Good luck!
Newt

Old 06-30-08, 02:32 PM
Originally Posted by Newt View Post
Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you. I'm wondering if I see any spines or thorns on the stem of the vines. If so, I'm thinking it's one of the greenbriar vines. They are quite variable in leaf shape.
http://www.noble.org/webapps/plantim...&PlantTypeID=3

Good luck!
Newt
Thanks Newt. I'll give it a try.

Old 07-02-08, 11:38 AM
You are very welcome!

Newt