Tree-Root Invasion Concern

Old 07-01-08, 06:42 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tree-Root Invasion Concern

Hi:
There is a medium-sized Maple Tree which is situated close to the house. Age of tree is about 10 years old, but its height is not tall because the family/we keep cutting it down all branches once reached about 15 feet in height.

However, I started to concern regarding 'Tree-Root' that may invade deep inside a foundation of the house which was built in early '60.

The tree has three 'split' trunks, not 'one' trunk. I love to see its 'green leaves' leaning against the window, however I started to concern about a 'tree-root' invasion into a foundation of the house.

As much, I hate to cut it down seeing wonderful and very health-looking Green leaves the tree produces every year.

My major concern on this is, however ...
Whether should I cut it down completely to avoid a tree-invasion into the base of the house?
Or, as long as we keep cutting it down to about 15-17 feet, it's NOT any danger as to tree-invasion?

Thanks for any help on this, above.

Old 07-01-08, 07:01 AM
T
Marginal pruning will have little impact on roots. Severe pruning will impact roots and eventually cause the tree to decline because of interuption of ability to manufacture food for roots. Cropping and crowning of trees is not recommended because of impact upon crown to root ratio.

10' is too close to the house. Depending on maple variety, roots can run 40 feet or more from tree. Maple trees with their extensive shallow root systems have a reputation for damage to foundations, sidewalks, and driveways.

Old 07-01-08, 07:38 AM
M
Thanks for the quick response.

We're all aware of 'danger' of root-invasion, particularly a large Maple Tree that most of my neighbors have in their backyard. One neighbor behind us, actually needed to cut it down, about 30 feet tall Maple tree due to its invasion to a foundation of their house. Also, I'm already seeing that a large maple-tree very close to the sidewalk was cut-down because of a large crack caused by it.

One of trunks of my maple-tree is a bit protruding to the surface/ground. As seeing its protruding-root system, I'm quite concern whether its root-system going into house-foundation.

Is there any way for us to make it stop root-growing? Otherwise, only choise we have now is to cut it down soon.

Thanks,

Old 07-05-08, 01:48 PM
N
Maligold, anything you do to contain the roots or stop them from growing will only kill the tree anyway. I'd say to remove the tree and plant something more appropriate properly spaced from the house so the outer edges of the mature canopy is at least 10' from the house. Most tree roots will grow beyond the mature canopy of a tree.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/WO017
http://www.ext.colostate.edu/pubs/Garden/02926.html
http://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/woody/rootgrowthlateral.html

Newt

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: