Vines for the chain link fence part 2

Old 07-05-08, 04:10 AM
Vines for the chain link fence part 2

I had the same questions as the person below and ironically, I had just found jasmine vines on sale in a grocery store for $1!! I bought three of them but was afraid they would be too invasive on the chain link fence. I have other plants in front of the fence but still need a cover plant because I can't stand the sight of the fence (it was here when I moved).

So just to clarify, If I plant the jasmine on the fence, how much will I have to prune when it matures and covers the fence. Right now I have a vine that has very rapid growth at the top. I don't know what it is, but it sends branches out and I have to prune it at least every two weeks to keep it from bushing out so much and getting really tall. The pruning has become a pain and I don't want to have to do the same thing with the jasmine.

And would it get into my other plants in the bed in front of the chain link fence like wisteria - sending out those invasive tendrils that must be cut back constantly in the summer? Thanks so much for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-08, 09:11 AM
Jasmine should be pruned after blooms fade. Terminals can be pinched back to encourage lateral growth. Keeping jasmine in check with frequent pruning will result in loss of blooms.

There are several varieties of Jasmine. Depending upon variety will determine the nature of the plant. Winter jasmine will root wherever stems touch soil. Summer jasmine is non-invasive.