wilting transplanted tomatoes

Old 07-16-08, 01:28 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question wilting transplanted tomatoes

I recently transplanted some tomatoes that were about 2 feet tall. I had intended to transplant them much sooner but I had to leave town for a funeral and was unable to transplant them. They were previously in a pot with some pepper plants which when transplanted also began to wilt. They were all doing fine in the pot. The pot was in the garden in which they are now planted so sunlight is not the issue. I water at night to avoid the scorching of the hot Texas sun. any Ideas. I also put potting soil and 13-13-13 fertilizer down when I transplanted. Please help would like garden fresh veggies.

Old 07-16-08, 04:35 PM
N
Transplanting during the heat of the summer when temps can go over 85*F is risky and very stressful for plants. Not sure why you "put down potting soil" and what you mean by that. Potting soil is peat based, and once dry, is very difficult to rewet. If you mixed it into the planting hole that won't be too bad, but using it as a topdressing will wisk away the moisture from the roots of your plants. Compost is one of the best organic amendments to add to a planting bed and can even be used as a mulch.

Consider mulching your plants, removing any potting soil on top of the soil in the garden and water early in the morning so your plants are hydrated before the heat of the day. It's best not to fertilize stressed plants.

Newt

Old 07-16-08, 08:33 PM
M
Cool wilting tomatoe plants

What I meant by potting soil was "miracle grow potting soil" I mixed it into the transplanting hole with the ground soil. I will start watering in the morning will it still be ok to water at night say around 10pm well after the sun has set. Compost was/is not available to me. I have started a compost of my own but it will be a while before it is ready to use. who knows I may end up adding these plants to it. I hope not.

Thanks for the help i will let you know what comes of these plants.

Old 07-16-08, 10:08 PM
N
Thanks for getting back to me. It doesn't really matter which brand you used, most potting soil for houseplants is still peat based unless it's for cactus or orchids, etc. If you have a big box store or a nursery, Miracle Gro also makes organic soil. Most Home Depots and Lowe's type stores carry compost in bags. Even the Wal and K Marts often have organic amendments in bags. Here's some of Miracle Gro's garden soils.
http://www.scotts.com/smg/catalog/pr...52&id=cat50006

Miracle Gro also makes Hyponex products.
http://www.scotts.com/smg/catalog/pr...6&id=cat140002

You may need to water in the evening too. I'd say to put your finger into the soil up to the second knuckle. If it's dry it's time to water.

Newt

Old 07-17-08, 06:56 AM
M
Smile wilting tomatoe plants

Thanks for the links and the help I will check my local stores for compost and try putting some of that on as well as some mulch. I will let you know what happens.

Old 07-17-08, 01:39 PM
N
You are so very welcome! I'd love to know if there is any improvement.

Newt

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: