Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

Smart or not for homeowner to plant trees?

Old 07-20-08, 08:00 PM
Z
Received 87 Likes on 81 Posts

I want to buy 8 evergreen trees for my property. I would like the trees to be about 6-7 feet tall as Iím looking to immediately put up a screen between my neighbors house and mine (Good folks, I just like privacy). The trees would be planted on about a 3 foot rise about 40-50 feet from my house thus putting the tops about 9-10 feet high or about one story tall.

In my area Iím seeing prices roughly somewhere around 275$ -300$ per tree. But to my surprise it costs another 40-50% to have the trees planted by the nurseries around here. Thatís a lot of bucks for planting. Iíve never bought or planted trees before and I do all the labor I can on everything in my house to save money. Iíd certainly like to plant these trees myself and save a ton of money and I think it would be more gratifying.

But my question is : Is there really a big down side to planting the trees on your own rather than having the nursery plant them?

I have heard nurseries guarantee success when they plant Ė but for the $1,200 Iíd save on planting , it seems to me I could afford several failures?

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Old 07-20-08, 08:04 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,178 Likes on 1,136 Posts
A six foot tall evergreen is a lot of tree. You could do this yourself, but I don't think I'd want to.

Old 07-20-08, 08:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The prices seem reasonable. Back in 2001 I ordered two 12 foot arborvitae trees form a local nursery. Each tree was about $250 and each install was $250. Installing trees that big requires a bobcat at the very least IMHO. Thats what they used to install mine. The trees and bobcat came in on a flatbed truck. The bobcat had two attachments, one to dig the holes and the other to carry the trees. My trees were a little bit bigger but still I don't think I would have wanted to takle the job myself. What if you hit a huge boulder

Old 07-20-08, 08:58 PM
Z
Received 87 Likes on 81 Posts
Thanks a lot for answering folks.

I see your points. I could certainly believe they are much heavier and harder to handle than I was telling myself. Iím a famous life-long under estimator . Gets me in trouble. And it sure sounds like I greatly oversimplified tackling a job like that. Didnít even think about things like equipment or hitting boulders etc. Prices make much more sense to me now.

Certainly sounds like I better let the nursery do it. But I now feel much better about paying them to do it!

Thanks again for the very significant info!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: