poison ivy oil on gloves


  #1  
Old 09-02-08, 01:05 PM
Annette's Avatar
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Midwest
Posts: 4,155
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question poison ivy oil on gloves

i know the easiest & safest thing to do would be to just throw them out, but............if i've touched poison ivy with some rubber coated gardening gloves, will the oil eventually dry up & the gloves would be safe to use again? or will the oil pretty much always be there & every time i use them, i'll get poison ivy again?

they were brand new gloves when i used them for the first time to rip out a bunch of hugemongous poison ivy vines growing up our big evergreen, and i just hate to toss them already.........so just tell me i need to chuck 'em and i will. lord knows i don't want another round of this wretched rash!!!

thanks..........
 
  #2  
Old 09-02-08, 01:20 PM
Gunguy45's Avatar
Super Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: USA
Posts: 21,112
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Wash them in soap and water, same as you would your skin if you got some on it. Then turn them inside out and do it again. Unless someone is extremely (as in has to go to the hospital) sensitive they'll be fine.
 
  #3  
Old 09-25-08, 07:50 PM
I
Member
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Northwest USA
Posts: 15
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Being incredibly allergic (I have to take a round of prednisone with the first sign of a rash), I am pretty well versed in poison ivy (oak) plants. The toxin is actually not an oil, but a resin type base. That's why it is so resistant to soap & water. What I use is (don't panic at this) mineral spirits & liquid detergent. Remember--you are trying to cut a resin, not oil. Do not wash with anything else.. Personally, no pair of gloves would be worth the risk or the trouble to me. Next time, just spray with CrossBow & be done with it. Remember to clean any & all gardening tools, shoes, etc. The resin never just "goes away" on it's own over time. It is always toxic. Next time get one of those lucky, lucky folks that are naturally immune to the toxin. They actually do exist, I know of one.
 
  #4  
Old 09-27-08, 03:52 AM
P
Group Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: NC, USA
Posts: 25,074
Received 865 Votes on 796 Posts
Costco sells high quality surgical gloves that are extrememly durable. I now use them whenever changing the oil on a car, pulling poison ivy or having to fix a toilet on a renal house. Just use them and then throw them away.
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: