Transplanting ornamental grass

Old 09-20-08, 07:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Transplanting ornamental grass

A neighbor of mine gave me a large grouping of ornamental grass.. they were going to toss it so I grabbed it.. It was so large we had to divide it to fit it in the truck.

Once I planted it, the most of the foliage is not standing up and some is laying on the ground... i'm guessing this is from the transplanting shock..

It is now late September, I live outside of Baltimore so our growing season is almost over. Should I cut the grass off 6-12" from the base or leave it as is?

It is between 6-8' tall... i'm not exactly sure what type it is but it is mostly green.

Any advice is appreciated..

Thanks
Scott

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-08, 09:36 PM
sounds like pampas grass, if so cut it off and it will come back from the roots next year. common around here for ornamental grass.

if we're not supposed to eat animals why are they made out of meat?

Old 10-07-08, 12:47 PM
ornamental grasses

First you must identify the genus and species of the grass. Most common genus in Miscanthus. These grasses are popular because they have few pest problems and the deer can't digest them. Right now they're in bloom in NJ. I have over 20 varieties and I leave them up all winter for the display. I cut them low to the ground with a small chainsaw in late March and they start to sprout in April. If you wish to divide them, I would dig them in early march after you cut them low and then use a heavy nurseryman spade to cut them up into sections. They are difficult to dig and divide, so get some help.

Plant them right away and don't let them dry out. You'll be in the ornamental grass business in a few years if you continue the process. Give them fertilizer in June and they'll take off!

Good luck, JB