Transplanting Arborvitae(sp)

Old 10-30-08, 12:28 PM
Transplanting Arborvitae(sp)

I've finally gotten around to moving 5 arborvitaes this coming weekend but have a small problem and question.

The P.O. planted these about 3 years ago (when I should've moved them) and have since grown 2 or 3 feet. Problem is they were planted a bit crooked/cocked. While the bush itself is aiming pretty straight up, the trunk was pretty angled to the ground.

I would like to have the trunk looking "clean and straight" but the tree, of course, will be angled.

Will it reshape itself with growth and become "normal" or do I need to bury it with the original poor angle? I'm talking a good 15 degrees or more.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-08, 07:53 PM
Hi Cienega,

How about some pictures? I'm thinking that you would plant with the trunk angled so the top is straight. If you plant with the trunk straight you will have the weight of the top to pull it down. You would have to anchor it with stakes and guy wires to keep it upright, trying to make the trunk straighten while the roots try and anchor themselves in the ground.

What's a P.O.?

Newt

Old 10-31-08, 12:15 AM
Hiya Newt!

P.O. = Previous Owner (of the house). Seems like they planted them just prior to selling.

I was talking to the guy at the local nursery today and he seems to think that, after "a season or so" and with some trimming along the way, it'll "aim" itself properly but I have my doubts that it'll align true.

In my mind, it seem like the "core" growth is already established and would just zig-zag itself straight higher up, if you know what I mean - like those ocean-front palm trees. The trunk is close to 2" thick at this point.

Besides relocating them, I'm trying to align them with certain points on the patio as it seems the P.O. just tossed them in the ground, too deep, crooked, poorly spaced and not symetrical to the surrounding visual points.

That being said, I think my best bet would be like you said - plant with the growth straight - at least I know what direction that is.

My main reason being I don't think I could stand looking at a few inches of straight trunk and 3 feet of crooked bush for a year or so just to find out it didn't straighten out evenly.

Then again, with my gardening skills, they'll probably be dead after a week anyway...

Old 10-31-08, 09:57 AM
Cienega, thanks for clarifying the abbreviation for me. I just couldn't think of what it could mean.

Not sure if the guy at the nursery was correct that it would only take a year or two to straighten. I think it would take longer. Maybe asking an arborist might be helpful.

Newt

Last edited by Newt; 11-02-08 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-31-08, 04:12 PM
See? Now if you had said it would straighten out in a week or two, then I would get onboard! Haha! I'm sure ONE season would be too long for me and, like I hinted at, I really don't think it would 'cure' it in the end.

I put it in straight-trunked and the more I look at it the more I'm leaning (no pun intended) to shifting it for the straight-growth look. After all, it's only a few visible inches of trunk that I'm concentrating on and it would have to perfectly straighten out for it all to have the symmetry I'm trying to achieve.

I'm going to look again tomorrow and decide on a course of action then. I sometimes think I'm too anal for my own good.

Old 11-02-08, 09:49 AM
Maybe you could plant something in front of them so the crooked trunks are hidden.

Newt

Last edited by Newt; 11-03-08 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Correct spelling
Old 11-03-08, 11:50 AM
The trunks aren't really that visible and if 99 other people stood there with me, only one in a 100 would notice it...

I've been spreading it open, bending it towards "straight", and watering the inside of it and it actually is starting to look a little better. The angle (almost due north) is away from the sun so I'm hoping it'll grow towards the nutrients, if you know what I mean.

The 'funny' thing is I'm xplanting them into an area (27' x 6') that will have those retaining wall type stones from Lowes and the overall goal is to have some color/perennials around the inside of it all. Combine that concept with the fact that these things grow fairly low to the ground and it becomes more and more obvious just how anal I can be about some things.

I'm going to give it a few more days - it's still mid 70's/upper 40's here and it's fresh in the ground (and still green!). If it doesn't look like it'll conform, I'll just shift the ground a little and cross my fingers.

I'll keep you posted and try to get some pics of it all. The overall project is a bit interesting, being the bushes now are right where the stones are going.

Old 11-03-08, 01:33 PM
I'm crossing my fingers for you! I'd love to see pictures.

Newt