New Mondell Pine's going brown.

Old 11-07-08, 10:27 AM
Question New Mondell Pine's going brown.

I purchased over the summer 3 mondell pines that were 2 years old and about 4 feet tall. They have recently been put in the ground, I waited until it cooled down a bit in temperature. (I'm in Zone 8 with very alkaline soil). Two of the three have started going brown. When I planted the trees, I broke up the root ball and only put about an inch of soil on top of the roots, then put a tree ring around them to hold the water in. They were getting 2 gallons of water a day, Just this week I turned them down to about a 1/2 gallon every 3 days the soil is starting to dry out before they're watered again. I fed them with a evergreen fertilizer (after they were going brown) any ideas what I can do to save them? All the needles are going brown not just the inside's of the limbs. Help!!! If you need anything else answered please ask, I'll do my best to answer! Any help I can get would be very much appreciated!! Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-08, 11:30 AM
You likely over watered. Mondell Pines are very drought tolerant and thrive in desert like conditions. They prefer full sun and well-drained soil.

Old 11-07-08, 02:56 PM
Hi Elogandale,

I agree with Twelvepole. These trees like desert-like conditions. See 'Use and Management' here.
ENH-621/ST462: Pinus eldarica: Mondell Pine

Never fertilize a stressed tree or plant unless you know for sure that it's stressed from lack of nutrients. Newly planted trees should not be fertilized for 6 months to a year, if at all.

Newt

Old 11-26-08, 11:57 AM
Thanks Newt and Twelvepole. I appreciate you're help! I was not able to save two of my pines from the looks of them, but one is still doing good. I've cut the water WAY back.

Old 11-26-08, 01:17 PM
Elogandale, sorry to hear you lost two of them, but I'm glad one has survived. Thanks so much for the update.

Oh, and you are very welcome!
Newt