Tea Plants

Old 01-18-09, 01:17 PM
Tea Plants

Hi, I am trying to figure out a few things. Firstly, I live in Southern New Jersey, near Philadelphia. The way I read the hardiness zone guide on a seed website, A plant that says "Hardy to X" is growable in X, and all lower numbered zones. Is this a correct conclusion? I.E. one website states most tea(Camellia Sinensis) varieties are 7's, and I live in a 6a(I think) assuming I live in a 6a, will I be able to grow a 7 outside without a greenhouse?

Assuming the answer is yes, could anyone recommend a book for growing a 1-3 year old tea plant outdoors? I've also been able to find short guides on harvesting and processing, but I was wondering if when that time comes, will I need more in depth advice? I don't want to start from seed because of the severe difficulty for amateurs I've read about online. I know of several places I could buy the plants as well.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-09, 01:37 PM
you can grow outside without a green house during the summer, but keeping them over the winter will be difficult. around hear you can keep bananas over winter but only either inside, or by cutting all green off and covering with straw bales to prevent the roots from freezing. tea is considered a tropical isn't it? i know there is only one tea plantation in the us just off the coast of carolina.

life begins when the kids leave home and the dog dies

Old 01-20-09, 12:14 AM
Originally Posted by djfrayfool View Post
Hi, I am trying to figure out a few things. Firstly, I live in Southern New Jersey, near Philadelphia. The way I read the hardiness zone guide on a seed website, A plant that says "Hardy to X" is growable in X, and all lower numbered zones. Is this a correct conclusion?
No, it's just the opposite. The higher the zone number the warmer the winters. You can look at this hardiness zone map for New Jersey.
http://www.hort.purdue.edu/newcrop/c...ps/NJhardy.jpg

I.E. one website states most tea(Camellia Sinensis) varieties are 7's, and I live in a 6a(I think) assuming I live in a 6a, will I be able to grow a 7 outside without a greenhouse?
No, but I'm guessing you are in zone 6b (a bit warmer in winter), or even 7a (warmer still). You will need to find a variety that is hardy to zone 6 if you are in zone 6. If it says hardy to zone 5, you can safely grow that outdoors year round.

I don't know of any books but you might be able to find groups on the internet specifically for growing Camellia sinensis by doing a search with a term such as:
Camellia forums

You might also find a local Camellia Society helpful.
http://www.camellias-acs.org/display...atid=7,125,203

Newt