Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

Tulips in basement for 2 years are now sprouting?

Old 01-19-09, 11:08 AM

I have a container of tulips given to me 2 years ago. After the blooms died, I cut the folliage and set the pot in the basement. Forgot about them, yesterday I checked them and they are sprouting. I have green sprouts about 4 inches tall. I would love to save these and continue to grow them inside. Is this possible? If I cannot, how do I plant outside. We are below freezing here in the midwest and don't look for spring temps until late March or April. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-19-09, 10:47 PM
I had the same thing happen with hyacinths. I put the pot in a cool place, forgot about it and then noticed sprouts last month. I watered well, let the water drain out and put the pot in the sun. They are growing now. Give it a try, you've nothing to lose. You may not get flowers as most potted tulips are treated as annuals, but you just never know. If they do bloom for you and you like what you see, plant the bulbs in the spring when the ground thaws. Make sure to let the foilage turn yellow before you remove it as the green leaves will feed the bulb for the next years blooms.

Newt