Tree Leaning from Tornado

Old 03-05-09, 11:15 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tree Leaning from Tornado

Along with a lot of other issues (my roof is gone) I have a 30 feet tall Bradford Pear tree (trunk about 12 inches around) that is leaning about 20 degrees from our recent tornado experience. Only a few small branches were broken and the tree looks otherwise quite healthy all things considered. How do straighten it up without damaging the tree before the list becomes permanent?

Old 03-05-09, 11:43 AM
Group Moderator
Received 249 Upvotes on 201 Posts
Is this in the front yard or back. Reason I ask is after Hurricane Charley blew through here in 2004 I straighthened quite a few trees with the winch on my wrecker, mostly palms.

Old 03-05-09, 11:49 AM
J
It is in the front yard. I can get access with a vehicle from the street if I need to. Don't have a winch, but could probably pull with SUV I guess.

Old 03-05-09, 11:58 AM
Group Moderator
Your're going to need something very heavy and with a winch. Not shilling for tow companies here, but you could probably get your tree straightened for about 50 bucks. Unlikely you'll upright it with an SUV unless it's an H2.

Old 03-05-09, 12:12 PM
J
That's a good idea. Maybe I can call AAA. LOL. The local "tree company" estimated $200 for them to come out and get the tree vertical again. I will call a wrecker service and see what they can do. Did you stake the tree heavily after pulling it straight? I am concerned it will just drift back into the underground void that may be created.

Old 03-05-09, 12:21 PM
Group Moderator
Not everyone will be willing to do it, but someone will probably take the job.

The tree guys estimate, did that include the bracing? If so it may be worth the extra cost.

The palms I did the howeowners braced them up with diagonal 2x4's.

Old 03-05-09, 01:01 PM
N
Hi Jjjedlic,

So sorry to read about the damage to your home. You will need to make sure that major roots aren't severed. Here's some helpful links about storm damaged trees.
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/EP/EP29100.pdf
http://hort.ifas.ufl.edu/woody/whatwelearned.html

Newt

Old 03-06-09, 09:49 AM
J
So far the wrecker guys aren't interested, but still working on it. I don't understand the bracing you described. Did the just wedge a 2x4 behind the tree at an angle? Sorry I am a little slow and having trouble picturing this.

Old 03-06-09, 10:12 AM
N
Old 03-06-09, 12:21 PM
Group Moderator
The ones I saw were mostly like newt's link on palm trees, although mostly people just wedged them without creating an anchor around the trunk.

Your wrecker guys must not be very adventurous; I hardly ever turn down a job that's slightly out of the ordinary.

Old 03-08-09, 06:48 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,152 Upvotes on 1,927 Posts
Have you tried hiring your local wrecker by the hour? I have hired wreckers to do unusual jobs and found it better to not get too specific with the person who answers the phone. They sometimes think you are "trouble" and will end up taking a lot of time for a minimum/standard tow fee.

You want to make sure you get the equipment you need (how much cable length, how much pulling force...). A couple times I have gone to the wrecker site to talk to the owner/operator and explain what I am doing and we pick the correct piece of equipment.

They have never turned any job down. Sometimes they say "that's no problem" and sometimes they say "I'll give it a try and see what happens". Keep in mind that the wrecker is a business and they have to make money. Do not waste their time and be clear that you will pay for their services.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: