Meyer Lemon Tree

Old 02-13-09, 04:36 AM
Group Moderator
Meyer Lemon Tree

I live in zone 7a in North Carolina and am trying to grow a Meyer Lemon tree for the first time. It did well through the summer. This winter I build a greenhouse around the tree. The heaters come on a 40f and the vents open at 60f and the tree has kept its leaves through the winter. The soil is well drained and constantly moist (very high organic content) but not soaking. I have not fertilized since September. Lately many of the leaves are turning yellow and many of the green leaves are curling yet it continues to bloom and produce new growth.

Is my tree just confused? The daylight says drop your leaves but the temperatures say keep growing?

Does it sound like too much or too little water? Possibly nutrient defficiency?

Sponsored Links
Old 02-17-09, 05:53 PM
Yellowing leaves could be a sign of your tree being rootbound, too much water or a nutrient deficiency.

If the yellowing is around the margins of the leaves then I would suspect salt burn from too much synthetic fertilizer. Flush soil with water and let drain well.

If the veins are yellow then suspect over watering. If the veins are green and the rest of the leaf is yellow then suspect plant is rootbound or nutrient deficiency.
http://www.fourwindsgrowers.com/solver/yellow.html

Leaf curl results from 3 main reasons.
http://www.fourwindsgrowers.com/solver/curl.html

Newt

Old 02-21-09, 04:43 AM
Group Moderator
Thanks for the links Newt. I am reading them right now.

I posted on a garden website that specialized in citrus and got some help. The consensus was a nitrogen defficiency. They also suggested that I get in there with a small paint brush and pollinate the flowers.

I fertilized 4 days ago and within a day I could seen an improvement. The leaves are flattening out and getting their dark green color back. I think the greenhouse is doing better than I thought and the tree has not thought about going dormant and needed it's food, even in winter.

Old 02-21-09, 10:55 PM
Pilot Dane, thanks ever so much for the update. I'm glad to know your lemon is doing better already.

Newt