Ants Ants Ants!

Old 03-27-09, 03:10 PM
Ants Ants Ants!

We bought our home last April and struggled with ant problems around the entire exterior of the home as well as in the kitchen. We ended up finally killing them off, but it took some work. They were all throughout the mulch beds especially. We have a lot of day lillys around our home. Do mulch or day lillys attract ants?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-09, 06:37 PM
Hi Mossman,

I too battle ants. Different ants prefer different foods. I've not had a problem with any ants and daylilies that I grow. I've also not experienced mulch as a problem when it comes to ants.

Here's a key to many common household ants in the first link and more info on ants in the second one.
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/TOOLS/ANTKEY/index.html
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7411.html

Newt

Old 04-14-09, 06:41 AM
I don't know what really attracts the ants, but I do know that planting mint around the exterior of the house will keep them away. Any kind of mint will work, plus you have the bonus of having fresh mint on hand for using in the kitchen.

Old 04-14-09, 06:44 PM
Thanks. I'll try that. I seemed to have killed off quite a bit of them using these gel traps, and haven't seem a trace of them since. Did I likely kill them off, or do you think they will return at a later date?

Old 04-18-09, 01:34 PM
Hi Mossman,

With no disrespect to Wende, be VERY careful when planting mint as it's VERY invasive. Once you plant it and it roots into the garden, it's almost impossible to get rid of.

I too used the gel bait for the ants last year and didn't see any during the end of the summer into the fall. I am seeing a few here and there now and will bait again until they are gone. It takes persistance.

Newt