New garden soil

Old 04-13-09, 11:12 AM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
New garden soil

I'm starting a new veg garden planting in wide raised beds. my first raised bed is 3ft. wide by 30ft. long. My soil is 46% loam, 33% sand and 25% clay. I bought 5 bags of topsoil and mistakenly bought 10 bags of composted manure thinking it was compost and manure. I was going to return for more topsoil but when I read the contents it reads, composted pine fines, composted hardwood fines, composted manure and sand. .05 N, .05 P, .05 K. Will this be ok to turn into the soil and be ready to plant? Also a neighbor gave me some scallions. Are they the same thing as leeks?

Old 04-15-09, 01:09 PM
G
Really, no one? I'd like to start planting. I guess if nobody has any advice I'll take it back and exchange for topsoil.

Old 04-18-09, 01:16 PM
N
Hi Gearjam,

Sorry no one has answered you. What you purchased would probably be fine for planting, but do be careful when adding manure to a veggie garden. Some plants don't do well with the extra nitrogen of manure and the manure must be well aged for it to be safe for edibles.

Also a neighbor gave me some scallions. Are they the same thing as leeks?
They are in the same family, being alliums, but they are not the same. This should help to explain the differences.
http://www.innvista.com/health/foods...les/onions.htm

Newt

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: