new garden - replace lawn

Old 04-19-09, 05:02 PM
new garden - replace lawn

we want to take part of an established lawn and turn it into a garden area. What is the best way to approach this? So far I have simply tested using a spade and square shovel to get unde the sod and pry it up - but that is going to be a real chore to get any good sized garden. Is there aqn easier method?

Thanks all - great site here!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-09, 08:41 PM
Hi Bogey,

It would probably be best to use a powered sod cutter. You can rent them in different sizes. If you have a large area be sure to get one that is self propelled if you can.
http://media.canada.com/b17a5268-e80...nnejeffery.jpg

You can either use the sod elsewhere in your yard or compost it. Don't forget to add lots of compost to the new planting beds.

Newt

Old 04-21-09, 05:24 PM
Talking manual or power sod removers

I'm going to second newt's advice. You can rent a self propelled sod cutter sat your local rent shop or even from home depot.
But I will add a declaration of caution. The relative ease that these nifty devices afford the novice gardener can tempt said beginner to go over board. Especially is this true if the only decision or forethought put toward how big of a garden aforementioned newbie would like is "how much lawn can I remove this fine Saturday morning?"

I do love my new pumpkin patch.

One thing is true, you do have to remove that sod if you want a plot that is able to be tilled and mixed with amendments.

Old 04-21-09, 06:23 PM
Suppose they (son and wife) do not want to use power tools? I guess htere is no easy way than to go at it with a spade and try to get under it and pry it up?

Old 04-22-09, 08:44 AM
Bogey, there are manual sod cutters, but a person would need a good strong back. I'm sure you can rent these as well.
http://www.northerntool.com/images/p.../260050_lg.jpg

The only other option I can think of is a flat shovel.

Newt