Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

insecticide in this situation - necessary ?

Old 05-10-09, 08:16 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

I'm done preparing my garden am ready to plant. As I was preparing the soil I noticed a wealth of red ants. I do not notice any grubs or other insects.
My take on this is just to seed without adding insecticide.
---Am I making a decision that will effect my plants?
I'm just planting your garden variety vegetables (get it? )
The reason that I hesitate to add pesticide to the soil is that I also have a whole lot of earthworms in the soil.
--- Will adding insecticide effect these beneficial garden guests as well? The two bags of insecticide I have contain either carbaryl or cyfluthrin as the active.

Zone 5-6
Northwestern IN

Old 05-10-09, 11:34 AM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi Mick,

I tend to live with ants, but sometimes their tunnels will kill the roots of plants. In your case, you were digging and they might now feel threatened and start new colonies. I don't take action against any bugs in the garden unless they become a problem for me.

Twenty years ago I planted a lovely group of King Alfred daffodils. Then about 10 years ago ants decided to make a colony where these daffs were planted. Over the course of about 3 years the ants built up the soil and the daffs began to deteriorate. When the group was down to 2 blooms I took action and put out some bait that was boric acid based. This year we had a better flower display.

I would NEVER use either carbaryl (Sevin) or cyfluthrin, especially where I would grow food. You can read about these chemicals here. Carbaryl is a carbomate.
What Are Organophosphates and Carbamates
Carbaryl - Pesticide Black Death

Cyfluthrin is a pyrethroid.
About Pyrethrum
Head Lice Treatments - Pyrethrins and Pyrethroids - facts you shoud know

More info about pesticides and children and pesticides.
Carbaryl
About commonly used Pesticide Poisons - Read this before using

Newt

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: