vegetable garden weeds

Old 05-11-09, 11:10 AM
vegetable garden weeds

This is my third summer at my home and the last two years the garden has been so over grown with weeds that it hasn't produced. Working full time I just couldn't keep up with them.

This summer I am laid off. I had someone till it. It is an 18' x 30' plot, and in the same place as the last two years. I had the bright idea that I would put landscaping cloth between the rows and mulch on top of them. I started and decided that it would probably take all summer for me to get that done and my seeds really need to get in the ground.

People have told me to use preen, and I tried that last year, but it didn't work.

Any suggestions??

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-09, 11:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I use newspaper and mulch after the plants get established. For the most part it does a good job of keeping the weeds out and in the fall the newspaper and mulch can be tilled into the ground.

Old 05-11-09, 03:38 PM
Hi Maggie,

I also use Mark's method of dampened newspaper. I usually put down 6 sheets with mulch on top. Be sure to dampen them as you go or you'll be chasing them all over the garden with the first breeze. Been there...

Another method I've seen used is to put down carpet scraps, jute side up between the rows.

If you go with the newspaper and mulch you can use one of these long handled cultivators every couple of weeks and sever the weeds at the soil surface in just minutes.
http://www.oldhousejournal.com/magaz...nt-digIt.shtml

The circle hoe comes in a long and short handled version and works best in tight spaces between plants.
http://www.rittenhouse.ca/content/im...g%5Ccircss.jpg

Newt