Need mosaic concrete info

Old 04-09-00, 08:41 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I would like to build a concrete area with imbedded stones to create a mosaic pattern under my bird feeder [since all the seed husks are killing off the grass anyway]. I live in Zone 7, so we do get a hard freeze every winter. Any ideas on how to prep the area, mix the concrete, etc so that it won't crack?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-00, 02:04 PM
Visiting Guest
The concrete finish term you're referring to is "exposed aggregate". This is an extremely difficult concrete finish for a novice, and it's not a beginning point for concrete masons either. Consider hiring expert help (in the form of a Contractor or at least a skilled mason or two).

I rarely recommend the names of publications, because it's difficult to match useful informational content with an unknown recipient. But, if you're determined to continue on your own purchase and read "Finishing Concrete Slab with Texture and Color" from the Portland Cement Association.

Their Web Site Address is: http://www.portcement.org/ To find and purchase the book follow these steps: Click on "Concrete Solutions", Enter "exposed aggergate" as the search term.

One last point: a book can outline the how tos plus the necessary considerations, (and it can explain things in elaborate technical detail), but what it can't do is to impart the necessary skill and judgement (which is more than arm and leg motions or following a set of rules). So, after reading the book and before you tackle a project that you're unqualified for, practice making exposed aggregate stepping stones with sacked ready mixed concrete and the aggregate of choice.