Pyonis

Old 03-25-00, 06:27 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I have planted 7 pyonis in May 1998. They have grown a little bit in the summer of 1998.
In the summer on 1999, they have about doubled in size but no flower.
Is there any way I can expect flowers this year and what can I do to properly take care of this type of plants.
Last winter (1999-2000), I have covered them with styrofoam cones and I have just taken these off. The leaves are still on the plants from last fall.

Thank you in advance.

------------------

Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-00, 04:54 AM
mikejmerritt
Visiting Guest
Commenting on gardening via forums is tricky if you dont give your zone.I'll tell you how I deal with these flowers.I live in North MS and find that frost burning them to the ground is the best medicine.I never cover or try to protect.Many perennial plants here can be made to leaf out all winter but find that the energy mantaining leaves is better put into flowers the the next spring.If you are easily keeping leaves you may not have enough "winter".

Old 04-15-00, 03:31 PM
Visiting Guest
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mikejmerritt:
Commenting on gardening via forums is tricky if you dont give your zone.I'll tell you how I deal with these flowers.I live in North MS and find that frost burning them to the ground is the best medicine.I never cover or try to protect.Many perennial plants here can be made to leaf out all winter but find that the energy mantaining leaves is better put into flowers the the next spring.If you are easily keeping leaves you may not have enough "winter".<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to agree a bulb plant has to freeze to get ready for bloom the following year. You are keeping it too safe and not allowing the storing period. If you live in the southern states then there is no need to do anything. If you live up north you can dig up the bulbs and separate them and keep them in the ice box until time to plant again. My advice is to leave them alone and let them entertain you. Puddn