Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

How to get invasive plants out of my garden?

Old 05-30-09, 06:04 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have 2 very invasive plants in my garden that I want to get rid of. The first is Chameleon Plant (Houttuynia Cordata) and the other one is Gaillardia x Goblin Kobold. I've sprayed these plants numereous times with Spectricide and Round-up systemic weed and grass killer. Which I've used for years on other weeds with good sucess, but the Chameleon and the Gaillardia keep coming back. The specticide/Roundup appears to kill the plant but a week or two later, the plants are coming up again in the same spot and in other areas as well. I'm concerned that they will get out of control and take over my entire garden, if I don't get rid of them. I've even tried digging the Gaillardia out, but it was impossible. The roots are everywhere and when you barely touch the plant or root, they break off, so you can't get the entire root out. Is there another chemical they I could spray them with, that would kill them completely? Please help, I'm worried I will wake up in the middle of the night and these plants will be growing in my bed! Sincerely mross

Sponsored Links
Old 05-31-09, 05:27 AM
F
i've not seen anything glyphosate couldn't kill. you have to time it correctly on some plants like Kudzu. apply at the end of the growing season when the plant is weakest and re apply as needed. there are several variations of "roundup" so be sure you're using the strongest concentration.

Old 05-31-09, 01:37 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 94 Votes on 83 Posts
I agree - roundup should kill anything. Some things do take multiple applications and some plants are going to come back quickly if you don't kill everything.

Old 05-31-09, 03:08 PM
M
Mifch17 and flopshot, thanks for your replies. Would it be more effective if I mixed the Round-up (Glyphosate) in a heavier concentration than 6 oz to 1 gal water? What do you think about using Triclopyr (Ortho Poison Ivy Killer)? Would it be a more effective killer than round-up. Do you know if there are any lasting efects of the Triclopyr in 4egard to replanting? Thanks

mross

Old 06-01-09, 04:24 AM
F
not sure about Triclopyr but Triox will prevent for one year.
6oz is plenty i guess. i use a product called Quick Kill that is 41% and mix 5 1/3 oz in two gallons. the only multiple application was on a wild grape vine. it can take as many as four or five applications on kudzu , ivy and such. not sure about the other plant but that Chameleon of yours is spreading underground and is very aggressive.

Old 06-13-09, 12:51 AM
I would try Garlon. It is effective on things like Asiatic jasmine, which is a ground cover that I spray with roundup to keep the weeds out of it! One caution, do not over apply because it can move through the soil to desirable plants with roots in the same area as your weeds.

Old 06-13-09, 12:53 AM
Roundup application rate is 3oz per gallon for roundup pro concentrate. 6oz is more than enough.