Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Garden and Outdoor Center > Gardening and Horticulture
Reload this Page >

Newly Moved Japanese Maple Dropping Leaves?

Old 06-03-09, 06:09 PM

Helllo,

In April, I dug by hand and moved a Threadleaf Japanese Maple that had been in the ground for about 15 years. When I dug and moved it, it had not leafed out yet, but it was about to. The root ball was aprox 18"-24" and weighed about 100-150 lbs when I finally got the tree out. The soil at the new location is moderately rocky and a little on the heavy side. I made a small burm around the root ball at the new location so the water doesn't run off. When I deep water the tree, the water fills the berm and it takes about 20-30 minutes to be absorbed into the ground. The new hole I dug was twice as wide as the root ball and at the same depth. I didn't amend or do anything special to the soil at the new location. It did leaf out about a week after I moved it, but since then some of the leaves have shrivelled up and fallen off. It appears that the leaves that have shrivelled and dropped off are mostly from small thin branches on the underside of the tree. I deeply water it every 10-14 days and gave it one treatment of seaweed. Is there anything else I can do or should do to help the tree survive and stop the leaves from dropping? Thank you mross

Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-09, 11:05 AM
Sounds like you've done everything correctly. Hopefully you planted it at the same depth it was and the rootflare shows. You might want to read the FAQ's, Articles and How To here.
http://www.mountainmaples.com/

Newt